Fender Telecaster Bass!!Dad said 68 I'm not to sure

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jason72, Dec 23, 2013.

1. Jason72

Jason72

Hello my name is Jason My dad passed May 3rd 2013 with his battle of cancer..He lived an amazing life And yes I miss him very much but he is no longer in pain..Anyhow my dad joined the Army at the age of 14 and is the youngest man to ever graduate Airborne School..He also led a Country Music Carrier while and after the Army and Air Force..He was A member of the 101st and did a term in the Air Force to get his flight wings in the 60's the Beatles did the middle set at an NCO club in Germany where my dad was the main show...Any how I have lots of Articles to show but can't post them here for some reason..Any how I am trying to find out what year this Fender Telecaster Bass is..My dad said 68 some say 69 i'm not sure anymore...Need help and Also My dad was inducted into the Georgia Country Music Hall of Fame..
  2. Jason72

Jason72

Can anyone help me at all...
  3. JavierFarias

JavierFarias

4. Hidesert

Hidesert Supporting Member

Post a picture of the bass and you will have 20 expert opinions in 2 minutes!
    Sorry for your loss. Sounds like quite a dad!
  5. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    Sorry to hear of your dad's passing - sounds like he lived life fully. There are other threads on tb (maybe under bassists) that may be more conducive for posting pics and articles/stories about your dad if you are interested. I think people would be interested to share your remembrances. Pics of your dads bass would help determine it's age as well. Everyones always open to look at nice vintage basses on tb! Best to you and your family during this difficult time.
  6. bass_case

bass_case Used Register Supporting Member

In addition to the serial number on the neck plate, there are date codes on the pickup and volume & tone pots. Post pics of the bass, I have a 69 and have been obsessing over Teles for the past month.
  7. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

A '68 and '69 Tele Basses are going to be identicle in appearance, nothing changed. You will have to disassemble the instrument to check: pot code dates, neck-butt date, underside of pickup date. The serial will tell you nothing.
  8. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Sorry for your loss. The '68 and '69 Telecaster bass are identical. However, there is one detail that may be able to determine the difference. The tuners on some 68's were "lollipop" style. If they have these, it's definitely a '68.

Do the tuners look like this -

[​IMG]

Or this -

[​IMG]
  9. Jason72

Jason72

ok how do I post the pictures of it..
  10. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

11. Jason72

Jason72

well i can tell you it does have keys just like the first one you posted..with the little notch on the top.
  12. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Ok, that narrows it down. If it had the oval tuners (no notch, bottom photo), it would definitely be a '68. Yours is *probably* a '69. Do you know what the serial number is?

And just to be safe, your bass has a pickup like this -

[​IMG]

and NOT this -

[​IMG]
  13. Jason72

Jason72

14. Jason72

Jason72

Ok there you go pictures
  15. Jason72

Jason72

I know he changed the bottom string mount but I do have the original one but it is cracked..Will be looking for one..And how much is this bass worth? any clues?
  16. rocksmoot

rocksmoot

That is a beautiful instrument! So sorry to hear about your dad. Not everyone can say the Beatles opened for them. :)
  17. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Can you get a closeup photo of the plate on the back? Specifically, the serial number stamped in it.
  18. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

It's an early version of the Telecaster. The body has been refinished, and a Badass bridge installed. If you're going to sell the bass, don't search out an original replacement bridge. The new owner will do that. Just keep the original bridge with the bass, cracked or not.

Strange that the original bridge is cracked. Those were steel, and rugged. Can you post a photo of that?
  19. Jason72

Jason72

here thought ya'll might find this interesting [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
  20. Jason72

Jason72

Well I would but Left it with the bass at my mothers..Just was'nt ready to bring it home yet thou I did bring his Guitar Home with me and believe it is also an old one