1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fender to Expand in China

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by atomicdog, Jan 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. atomicdog

atomicdog

This from a recent issue of Music Inc. (have you seen more evidence of Fender gear made in China; the Modern Player series of basses and guitars are made there?):

"Fender recently announced initiatives to expand in China. The company plans to build a new office in Beijing, which will accommodate a team of Fender employees dedicated to supporting the branding and marketing needs of strategic partners, distributors, dealers and education channels within the country.

"The China-based Fender team will be the first of its kind for the company and will be dedicated to growth within China's MI market.

"Fender also announced the establishment of a newly formed third-party distribution company authorized and dedicated to sell only Fender products. Fast Distribution will be based in Guangzhou, China. Team members will include trained sales representatives responsible for visiting and assisting retailers who want to grow the Fender portfolio of brands. A showroom featuring many of the company's brands and products will be available for dealer training, group meetings and Fender events."
  2. EricssonB

EricssonB

Hmm. There are about seven billion people in China. I'd try to get into that market.
  3. That Sustain

That Sustain

I hope they someday start using American wood for their bodies. A Classic Vibe made of Alder would make a great bass.
  4. bootsox

bootsox

I'd kill for a CV '50s P in swamp ash
  5. tastybasslines

tastybasslines I'll hump your leg Supporting Member

As expected. MIM will get phased out and Squire will take its place with pricing to match. Get Em while you can boys.
  6. 2400

But what will they do with the Mexican factories? The way I see it, the brand has a long-standing history with the country, dating back to some of it's first employees.

Although I agree that the price-point of MIM will be quietly phased out in favor of Crafted in China, CIC, I don't think we're ever going to stop seeing Mexico-produced basses.
  7. David281189

David281189

none of this states that they produce in china or open up manufacturing plants in china :eyebrow:. they just want to expand into that market, because people in china get more and more wealthy and the demand of fender and other american brand guitars is rising at a fast pace.
  8. David281189

David281189

where do you get this from? that's just nonsense...:eek:
    fender wouldn't have invested so much into the MIM factories and brand throughout the last years if they would phase it out.
  9. David281189

David281189

i don't agree. the article stated above does not mention anything about fender opening new factories in china. the article is about their plans to enter the chinese market and the strategy to do so. their team in china will focus on marketing ect...
    price-wise MIM is very well suited for the chinese market. you won't believe it but the people their get wealthier every year. not all of them, especially does living in the country side, but the people in big citys are already pretty wealthy
  10. Salamenster

Salamenster

Bro... SEVEN BILLION?! More like 1.343 billion. 7 billion is around the earth's population...
  11. WhoDidTheElf

WhoDidTheElf

Sarcasm. I think it eluded you
  12. jeffbonny

jeffbonny _____________ Supporting Member

If all those poor slobs were getting paid enough to afford to buy the crap they're making WE wouldn't be getting it at the bargain prices we are.
  13. tastybasslines

tastybasslines I'll hump your leg Supporting Member

I get that idea. Maybe their leases are up, maybe they don't like the drug war and don't feel safe there. I dunno.

The general consensus here is that the quality of the Squires are easily on par with MIM, if not better, with nicer features. I just have a feeling that they are going to be releasing nicer and nicer Squires and really push the brand. Labor is cheaper in China, way cheaper and they can make more money.

Another criticism of Fender is that they have too many models and try to do too much. Just my opinion, but I see MIM closing down, and going to 2 main brands, Fender USA, and perhaps MIC (Made in China), and a stronger Squire brand with Mexico closing down.
  14. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Fender to Expand in China

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does this mean the SX basses can finally get a good looking headstock???

Or will they just slap a Fender neck on the SX basses?
  15. Joshua Alexander

Joshua Alexander

DEY TERK ERR JERBS!!!
  16. David281189

David281189

the whole idea of MIM closing down is just your opinion right? you made that up? i never heard or read anything about that anywhere.
    The general consesus here is definitly not that squier is on par with MIM quality. The MIM road worn series is soo freakin good, well build, they play great and sound really like a vintage one.
    The squier vintage modified is pretty good, some signature modles are very nice too, but that's squier's "high-end" line. MIM "high-end" modles are definitly the road worn basses/guitars with nitro finish. No squier will every give you that, it's just do expensive for a Squier.
    If Fender is really closing down MIM and pushing Squier and MIC they would hurt their brand to a great degree.
    They definitely have too many models, that's right.
  17. backup

backup

why on earth would fender phase out MIM? im pretty sure these basses are their top sellign product as they are average quality, relatively cheap and have fender on their headstock.
    squier is nice too but definitely not as good as MIM.
    also the MIA series are getting more expensive while the squier stay pretty much the same price. without MIM there would be a big gap in between 300-800$. why on earth would fender do that?
  18. David281189

David281189

it's just something he made up with no real evidence, proof or whatever. there's absolutely no reason for fender to do that.
  19. joelb79

joelb79

There is something about your post that seems highly offensive. I would have sworn you were American but.. I guess Exceptionalism runs deep in Canada too. Thing is assuming that your country and people are better than another country or people is very gross these days.

They wouldn't. Expanding your Asian market does not mean canning your North American operations. I think MIM is here to stay.
  20. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

The meaning of sarcasm now proven elusive to some. :D
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.