1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Fender Tuner Swap

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by hennessybass, Jan 23, 2013.

1. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

Hey All,, quick question.

If I were to buy a Fender American Standard P-Bass (2011, 2012, etc), what are my options for doing an easy tuner swap.

I am not a fan of the new style fender tuners, and would want to swap out for a more vintage style tuning machine.

NO THANK YOU...
    [​IMG]

YES PLEASE...
    [​IMG]

I am a really big fan of the vintage reverse tuners with the long shaft, but I feel like they would need routing on the back of the headstock?

PLEASE ADVISE

2. gadgetgirl

gadgetgirl Supporting Member

Gotoh Resolite tuners.

3. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man.

Routing? No routing! Just be sure that the tuner holes are the same size as the bushings for the reverse tuners. The new have a barrel bolt that threads on the gear mech from the front of the head. Only one screw is used to keep it from rotating.
    The old type screw on the back and the bushing is a press fit from the front. That bushing needs to be a good fit with the hole.

4. Cney

Cney

Could you check something for me?

If you remove the stock new style tuner. is the back open, holding together the peg and tuner with a spring or something?
    I have ordered these for my five string. but they where only as a set 4+1 set i need 5 in line. The deal was so good i can always sell them for a profit.

With the vintage one i could just rotate the tuning peg after taking it apart a little.
    Could you do it with these?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Britbonic

Britbonic Supporting Member

Guess I gotta ask - why?

From the front, the tuners look identical. Plus they will be much lighter than the vintage style unless you go for the expense of Gotoh Resolites at $130 for 4 plus installation.

Or find a 62 AVRI instead. Already installed!

7. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User Supporting Member

The vintage tuners have straight posts and it's easier to get the string lower on them for better break angle at the nutt. I much prefer them. I also think the plate on the back is a nice look.

8. Britbonic

Hmm... Understand the look argument, especially on vintage style bass. Not sure I understand about straight posts and break angle. Comparing mine on Am Std and 57 Pbass. Both have straight posts. Only difference is Am Std have nut versus the ferrule on vintage. String comes of bottom and over nut in exactly the same place.

9. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User Supporting Member

The posts on the modern tuners have a kind of waistline that the string settles into. Not the end of the world, but It's not preferred. Personally, I wouldn't go through the hassle of swapping the tuners on a US Standard, but I understand why someone would.

Modern:

[​IMG]

Vintage:

[​IMG]

10. miles'tone

miles'tone

The headstock tuner hole for the original reverse gear tuners has a wood "step" inside (part of the headstock itself). The reverse tuners require this to be installed.
    Not compatible with the Am standard headstock tuner holes.

Edit: The vintage tuners on the photo above have Fender logos on so they are '70s forward gear tuners. They should be ok I believe.

11. Britbonic

I just swapped out 2 sets of vintage style (60's) tuners and replaced with Gotoh Resolites. The headstock holes we the same diameter all the way through and the ferrules make a tight fit in the hole. There were both on AVRI basses.

AKAIK, the reverse tuners and the non reverse versions from that era are exactly the same expect for the direction of the gears. The Gotohs can be ordered for either direction.

12. miles'tone

miles'tone

Really? That's very interesting.
    The '62RI Precision I had was a 1990 MIJ model (which was a beautiful instrument which I thought was period correct). I tried changing the vintage reverse gear tuners for Hipshot Ultralites but they didn't fit for the reasons I stated above.
    I wonder what real '62 Fender tuner holes were like then. Strange my Jap reissue had them that way if the originals didn't, as it would take a bit more effort to make them that way than the regular way.

Edit: I stand corrected.

Just did some reading up and the pre-cbs tuners fit the same as the ones today.
    My Jap ones were an anomaly it seems.
    Those Gotoh Resolites look amazing! Glad someone has made a vintage lightweight direct replacement. GAS attack! ;)

13. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

With all due respect, I do not understand not taking advantage of newer lightweight tuners that can save as much as a half-pound of suspended weight, which will take care of neck dive and put less strain on a shoulder over the course of a three hour gig.