1. Welcome to the premier online community and classifieds for bass players!

Register a free account to post, remove lots of ads, and more!

Fender Urge MIM upgrades?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hooky_marr, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Got a MIM Fender Urge 'project bass' off eBay. Waiting for it to arrive, considering doing some upgrades to make it more like a MIA Urge I:

• Upgrading pickups
    • Adding a P pickup in between the Js
    • Swapping out the stock bridge for an Urge through-body bridge
    • adding a 3 or 5-way switch for pickup selection

I have a few questions if anyone's familiar with the differences between the MIA and MIM models.

• Are the J pickups the same width? They appear to be, at least on MIA Urges.
    • Is the bridge on the MIM in the same location as the MIA? Would it be an easy swap-out?
    • The concentric knobs seem to be a particular type that Allparts doesn't carry. Wider than usual and flat instead of dome tops. Anyone know where to get them?

Thanks all, advice appreciated!

2. Randyt

Randyt Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Barrie, Canada
    Im not sure about the topic...but if I was to complete this project...I would be calling Aguilar and get their opinion...Get their pickups and their Preamp...bingo..easy

3. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Don't waste your time on the bridge swap.

4. Sponsored by:

5. I would send your questions to John Page, he worked in the Fender Custom Shop directly with Stu on the Urge basses and I have found him to be a wealth of great information. He also was the guy behind the Fender Performer. You can email him at his site here:

http://www.johnpageguitars.com/

He is a really busy guy so be patient.

BassHappy
    www.innertainment.net