Fender USA Deluxe tuner question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by brock29609, Feb 17, 2014.

1. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels Supporting Member

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    I'm clearing out my parts drawer and before I post these for sale, I'd like to know what I have.

Can someone explain the history behind these two different Fender USA Deluxe lightweight tuners? What years were they used? Is one more rare/valuable than the other? Is one functionally superior? Do we know the manufacture? (Schaller?) Part numbers?

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2009
    i have and like the ones on the left (lightweight but with full-size keys and gears), but that series has one fatal flaw: the little tension screw opposite the shaft from the cloverleaf will loosen and fall out, taking the irreplaceable metal bushing with it :mad:

if you have these, step one is to drip a little mild loc-tite onto the screw threads before re-installing and adjusting to a comfortable turning tension (not too stiff).
  3. Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    The one on the right is the rare one. It's hard to find those! I actually prefer the die cast clover leaf on it. It looks "Deluxe".
  4. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels Supporting Member

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    Thanks. I have two of the right ones for sale, just put them on ebay. Hoping someone will cough up $55 each for them since they've been out of production for about 11 years. We'll see. After a couple months I'll lower the price if none sell.

I have 2 deluxe basses. One has the left tuners, one has the right. I haven't weighed the left ones, but the right ones are only 46g each. That's super light. By comparison, the vintage versions on Mexi fenders weigh 95g each.
  5. Sponsored by:

6. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Proprietor, ACF Custom
    The screw problem is no joke on the left one. Loctite is a great fix for that.

As for the history of these, I had a 2003 that came with the FLAT style and a 2002 that came with the PUFFY style. I'm guessing that's about the year that they transitioned.
    Schaller manufactured them.

When I got my 2003, it was missing a screw and GC ordered me a single tuner to replace JUST the screw... that took forever to get!
    In the mean time, I had contacted Schaller about it and they sent me a bag of screws and ferrules, FREE.

These were lightweight tuners, designed to keep the headstock weight down. They are light tuners, for sure.