Fender USA Deluxe tuner question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by brock29609, Feb 17, 2014.

1. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels Supporting Member

I'm clearing out my parts drawer and before I post these for sale, I'd like to know what I have.

Can someone explain the history behind these two different Fender USA Deluxe lightweight tuners? What years were they used? Is one more rare/valuable than the other? Is one functionally superior? Do we know the manufacture? (Schaller?) Part numbers?

Thanks!!

[​IMG]

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

i have and like the ones on the left (lightweight but with full-size keys and gears), but that series has one fatal flaw: the little tension screw opposite the shaft from the cloverleaf will loosen and fall out, taking the irreplaceable metal bushing with it :mad:

if you have these, step one is to drip a little mild loc-tite onto the screw threads before re-installing and adjusting to a comfortable turning tension (not too stiff).

3. Lownote38

Lownote38

The one on the right is the rare one. It's hard to find those! I actually prefer the die cast clover leaf on it. It looks "Deluxe".

4. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels Supporting Member

Thanks. I have two of the right ones for sale, just put them on ebay. Hoping someone will cough up $55 each for them since they've been out of production for about 11 years. We'll see. After a couple months I'll lower the price if none sell.

I have 2 deluxe basses. One has the left tuners, one has the right. I haven't weighed the left ones, but the right ones are only 46g each. That's super light. By comparison, the vintage versions on Mexi fenders weigh 95g each.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Proprietor, ACF Custom
    The screw problem is no joke on the left one. Loctite is a great fix for that.

As for the history of these, I had a 2003 that came with the FLAT style and a 2002 that came with the PUFFY style. I'm guessing that's about the year that they transitioned.
    Schaller manufactured them.

When I got my 2003, it was missing a screw and GC ordered me a single tuner to replace JUST the screw... that took forever to get!
    In the mean time, I had contacted Schaller about it and they sent me a bag of screws and ferrules, FREE.

These were lightweight tuners, designed to keep the headstock weight down. They are light tuners, for sure.