Fender USA Standard vs Deluxe Jazz Bass - Opinion

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bhoff5150, Feb 4, 2014.

1. bhoff5150

bhoff5150 Supporting Member

What's up guys? I've been playing out for over 22 years and just recently discovered the world of tube amps and passive basses. I've always played active basses with a very clean SWR amp setup but I recently acquired a Lakland DJ5 and a 1993 Ampeg V4B. I'm absolutely loving the combination and I think it gives me more control over the sound with how hard I play the strings. I'm loving the sound and it has me wondering what else is out there. So I'm looking for opinions of Fender Standard Jazz Basses vs. Fender Deluxe Jazz Basses. Any difference in the sound? Also how does the sound of the active/passive jazz basses stack up against the passive only jazz basses. Looking for opinions and experience. Thanks!!
  2. THE SAW

THE SAW

I hate urethane. It's a deal breaker for me. Yes, I may be an idiot, but that's my preference.
  3. EagleMoon

EagleMoon

IMO, the Fender Deluxes don't sound as good as the Standards. Fender does a great passive jazz, why mess with it?
  4. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

If I may expand upon the OP's question; what are the opinions on Fenders with an active/passive switch. Say, for instance, any thoughts on the Reggie Hamilton Jazz?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BillisCool

BillisCool

There is nothing that compares to the sound of a passive jazz getting beat on... IMO.

As far as passive mode on an active bass... The passive never sounds as good as the active... even if it is. Does that make sense? Ha
  7. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story Supporting Member

Other companies do Fender better than Fender; for the price of a Std. J you could source the parts yourself (which, depending on source, will be better quality), build it yourself (with the exception of steps you don't feel comfortable doing, i.e. nutwork, finishing, etc), and pocket a couple Benjamins.
  8. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Sooooooo…you're saying "A is never as good as B, even when it is"? Sorry, but to answer your question, no…that doesn't make sense. :eyebrow:

But then again, I did ask for "opinions", and as someone who's got plenty of them, I can easily say, "When do they ever make sense?" :D
  9. bhoff5150

bhoff5150 Supporting Member

Not top open a can of worms here, but is the Custom Shop Fenders worth the price. Or for that kind of money should I look at a Lull or other custom builder???
  10. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

I disagree with that. I have a JV24 with a U Retro pre in it that goes from active to passive and there is a difference in the tone of the passive. I have to turn it up a bit more but there is a distinctive difference in the tone
  11. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass Supporting Member

I had a Fender American Special Jazz bass and loved the tone and feel. Hated selling it but needed a 5 string and wife wanted me to sell stuff to cover the cost or I would still have It
  12. Caustic Crunch

Caustic Crunch

Just what I was looking for!
    I am almost ready to pull the trigger on a real nice 2011 American Special J. Convince me!! It's in mint condition...
    I play an 86 Precision -
  13. EagleMoon

EagleMoon

The American Specials are nice basses and tend to run lighter weight generally, which is always a good thing.
  14. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    In my opinion, any bass active or passive sounds great through a nice tube amp. I consider one no more preferred than the other - they are two different flavors. Find a bass you love playing and you're there.
  15. JGbassman

JGbassman

I own the american standard v. Great feel and sound. I played the deluxe and compared, and wasnt all that impressed with the deluxe electronics. They both had a good feel but I went with the standard and never regretted my choice.
  16. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass Supporting Member

Would this happen to be a 2011 Olympic White with red tort pickguard and rosewood Finger board in mint condition sold here on the Classifieds and the S/N ends in 26? If so that is the one I sold 2 months ago except it had 27:1 Hipshot tuners, a BabicZ bridge and a Fender S-1 Switch. Looks like the guy that bought it from me took that stuff off, kept the case, put the original hardware back on and resold it for what he paid for it complete. I wouldn't have sold it as I loved the bass but had to pay some stuff off.
  17. Radio Face

Radio Face

I own 3 jazz 4s at the moment. One jazz is passive, one active and one active/ passive. I prefer the passive tone but when music gets loud, active gets the nod. An outboard preamp used with a passive bass, accomplishes the same sound as having an active bass so, an American Standard with and outboard preamp, I feel, is the way to go.