Fender VI parts.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ezequien, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Ezequien

Ezequien

Hey guys!
    First of all, I tried looking for a thread similar to this one but I couldn't find one. I hope I'm posting it on the right place.

So I'm trying to build a Fender VI (actually paying someone to do it), but I have some doubts:

1) Does it use Guitar Pick Ups? I've seen videos on youtube saying that they have Jaguar and, in some cases, strats pick ups. Is this correct?

2) Is the bridge a guitar bridge? Same thing here... looks like a regular jaguar bridge. Will a regular jaguar bridge be able to handle the strings?

3) String size! I know D'addario sells Fender VI strings but I don't think I can get them in my country (that's the reason I'm building the damn thing, otherwise I'd just buy a Schecter Hellcat VI, wich they don't sell here either), can I use the strings from a 7 string guitar on this bass? Will it sound like crap?

That's basically it. The guy I talked to to build it was super confident about what he needed, but he kept saying "I know it says bass, but it's a guitar"... It really DOESN'T sound like a guitar to me.

Anyway thanks! :)
  2. cdef

cdef

The Bass VI, IME, works better as a baritone guitar than as a bass per se. I used to own a '63 (dot markers) for many years.

As I recall, it had the Jaguar pickups, which may have been the same as on a Strat of that period. The bridge (with a mute) and tailpiece (with vibrato bar) were Jag also. But that bridge was designed for more genteel styles of playing, so when you dug in the strings would skate to and fro on the saddles. Because of the guitar-like spacing, you pretty much had to use a pick. Add the puny machine heads, and that thing was hard to keep in tune.

I decided to consider it not a viable bass, and instead strung it with about 86 to 25 gauge, tuning it A to a. Voila - what a sound! We used that in the studio on many recordings - in fact, whenever we got stuck for ideas, it was "Let's try the baritone".

So actually, I think your man is in the right. - I did see Bill Laswell live, playing a Bass VI, but due to all the distortion it didn't much come over as a bass.
  3. iiipopes

iiipopes

Yes, the Bass VI had Jaguar pickups and other parts, but Jaguar pickups ARE NOT Strat pickups. They are wound a little differently, and have the metal comb frame that is supposed to help the tone.

D'Addario and LaBella also make Fender VI string sets. Maybe you can get a set of those. The LaBella set is more like the traditional set of flats; I believe the D'Addario are rounds, more like a baritone, and Juststrings has them on sale and ship anywhere.
  4. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

If you use Mustang guitar saddles instead of the Jaguar/Jazzmaster saddles, they will hold the strings better, be more stable, have a touch more sustain, and the trem will work better. It's an old common mod on Jazzmasters and Jags.

John
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. iiipopes

iiipopes

+1
  7. CliftonBonney

CliftonBonney Gold Supporting Member

8. Ezequien

Ezequien

Oh my god, thank you all so much! This has been more than helpful. You guys rule. If I get this bass done I'll upload it here so you guys can check it out! Thanks!!!