1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Fender Vintage 62 Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by XUSMC1775x, Dec 17, 2012.

1. XUSMC1775x

XUSMC1775x

i've been looking at the Fender Vintage J Bass for a long long while now, and i just want anyone's opinion that played it. it really looks nice to me. also if i dont get this ill be going with a MIJ Jaguar bass. is the Jag a good bass? which one should i get? thanks

2. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

I owned one and it was one of the best Jazz basses I have had, I really dug that bass and only sold it to fund a trip-I wish I would have held onto it. I had a jag, I bought it new in 2009. It was a great bass, but not as nice as the 62. The vintage frets are great.

3. XUSMC1775x

XUSMC1775x

thanks man, i was digging the vintage frets too! (even tho i never played it) haha.

4. A-Step-Towards

Yeah its something about how much easier it is to slide. It seems like bends are way easier. The bass just sounded so thick, the jag was thinner sounding.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. A-Step-Towards

7. bassman_al

bassman_al Supporting Member

If you are talking about the American Vintage Series '62 Re-issue Jazz bass, there are many here who love them. I started a club for this specific bass, so check under my profile for that link if you are interested.

It is true that certain model years had some problems, including mine ('94) but even with those problems with fretboard consistency and associated fret problems, I have thoroughly enjoyed mine. Its been my primary bass for the entire 5+ years I have owned it. It gets a unique tone and is so playable with those vintage frets, thin neck profile. Its really wonderful. I modded a truss rod access notch in the body by the neck pocket so that I can do easier truss adjustments, and that has really helped the somewhat finicky neck and fretboard issues. Here is a pic of mine. Immaculate condition for a '94, or for a 2011 for that matter! My baby, for sure! Pic taken 2 years ago so no truss notch in this pic.

[​IMG]
    Jazz by alanpachter, on Flickr

8. XUSMC1775x

XUSMC1775x

thanks for the answers, alot of imformation

9. bh2

bh2

I would very much like one of these... I love the stack knobs.

10. sneha1965

sneha1965

Here's my 62 RI. I really like the stack pots on these and enjoy the tonal variations as well as the classic sounding jazz pickups.

They're easy on the eyes too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. BrentSimons

BrentSimons Supporting Member

Hi There,
    I just picked one up on sale two weeks ago. Most of the online retailers have them with reduced prices. I bought the 3 tone sunburst. Beautiful bass. I am extremely happy with it. it was ready to play right out of the box. Hope this helps,
    Brent

12. XUSMC1775x

XUSMC1775x

it sure is! i love the look of it

13. XUSMC1775x

XUSMC1775x

oh it does! thank you very much

14. sneha1965

sneha1965

Thanks a lot!

15. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

I do not care for the stacked knobs one bit. Not. Zero. Nada. Zip. Nil.

To me, they are awkward, clumsy, uncomfortable gigging, and when I want to turn down a pickup, invariably the tone goes down as well when I don't want it to.

Remember that even Leo himself changed from this configuration to the now-standard V-V-T only about a year into production, and that has remained the standard control layout for American Standard Jazz Basses ever since, up to and including present production.

Fit, finish, signature tone, playability -- top notch. The best. The standard by which all others are judged. Great bass.

But I lose the stacks for V-V-T.

16. ROOTSnFIFTHS

ROOTSnFIFTHS Low-end Lover since '78! Supporting Member

Question for the '62 reissue players: is there a difference in neck size/feel between American Vintage 62, MIJ/CIJ '62 and Fender Classic 60's Jazz basses?
    I own a MIJ '62 reissue and feel a distinct fatter feeling neck than my other 5 non-'62 reissue Jazz basses??

I was contemplating starting a new thread about that subject and it might help the OP choose also.

Thanks

17. back2thefuture

back2thefuture

I'm with you on this.

18. PaulieBe

PaulieBe Supporting Member

I have never liked the reissue stack knob J basses. I have had two over time and they were never very ballsy compared to a real one from that era. I am a vintage bass guy tho and have had a bunch of early 60's Fenders over the years. So I may be too hard on the new ones which seem like nice instruments when you are not judging them against older vintages that have made the cut...

I also like some others here am not a fan of stack knobs in general- to me they are a real pain under fire and are not very intuitive w regard to how J bass pickups like to be mixed... IMO.

The new Jaguars on the other hand I find very interesting. I think they are a pretty decent new bass that can be upgraded to a GREAT bass if you want to spend the time and money.

johnk_10 walks through this on his website: http://johnkvintageguitars.homestead.com/Jaguar-Bass.html

John redid my black japanese Jag for me like this. In general a truly great and unique addition to the Fender bass family- if you do the mods even better. Again just my opinion. It has become my current road bass and is very powerful. Fender would be smart to hire John to redesign the bass for them and they would sell a ton. The raves on this site would be many and consistent.

STILL- I think that even if you don't want to spend the money and upgrade it is a really solid NEW instrument and not a repro of the past... so, I personally would choose the Jag. Either way tho, you can't lose.

Ramble closer: go with your gut- which will you want to pick up every time you see it?! Cheers...

19. lowsideonacurve

lowsideonacurve

I can tell you the MIJ Jaguar is very nice. The Jazz profile neck is as nice as any I've played and enough tone choices to keep you busy for quite a while. Unfortunately you can't get the color matched headstock anymore unless you buy used.

[​IMG]

20. PaulieBe

PaulieBe Supporting Member

Unfortunately you can't get the color matched headstock anymore unless you buy used.

[/QUOTE]

Or you paint it yourself! :)

21. meatwad

meatwad

The future holds a '62 AVRI Jazz as my next bass. I can feel it...