1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Fender Vintage Bridge ok for LaBella 760FL?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Slowpicker, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Slowpicker

Slowpicker

I have replaced the Bad Ass bridge of my P by the classic Fender Vintage Bass Bridge Assembly. This one: http://www.fender.com/features/vintage-parts/pure-vintage-bass-bridge-assembly-nickelchrome/

Provided that it is mounted correctly, will this bridge be able to bear for the somewhat higher tension of the LaBella 760FL set? Any risc here?

Apart from that, what do you think about this E string winding on the tuner post? Still OK or is the E string already too long?

IMG_1833.JPG

THX!

2. mongo2

mongo2

In my experience, yes.

I wouldn't want to stress Labella flats too much by bending them around the string post past the silk.

3. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man.

E string may break prematurely... or may not. To be sure, put a spacer like an old ball or nut down at the ball end.

Vintage bridge will be fine if it's screw holes are good.

4. Slowpicker

Slowpicker

Thanks so far.

In addition: the thicker part of the E string is not really bended. The thinner part of the string starts with the red silk. That is when the bending starts as well. Do you know what I mean?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. narwhale

narwhale Supporting Member

That's how the 760FLs look on my 62 RI look as well. You'd think Labella would take standard P-bass scale length into account and give you a little more 'wiggle room' between the tuner and the windings (maybe there's a tone or production reason for that), but it hasn't caused me any problems yet. Like Slowpicker said, none of the fully wound part of the string is bent at the tuner, though it is very close.

7. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

... the vintage bridge with threaded saddles is my bridge of choice, and your windings look fine ... this style bridge supported all the old style Fender flatwound 'cables' for years ...

tbird's suggestion of an old ball end at the ball end to space the string a bit is an excellent one, but I have used the LaBella's exactly as yours is pictured with no issues ...

8. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Absolutely. Those Labellas are my favorite strings and I've put them on more than a dozen basses with no problem ever, regardless of the bridge type.

Your E string is fine.

9. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User Supporting Member

Seemed to work for these dudes with heavy gauge LaBellas for a while.

[​IMG][​IMG]

10. Slowpicker

Slowpicker

I am a chicken when it comes to bass strings... :bag:

Thanks guys for your kind replies!

11. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Media:
    Albums:
    I use heavier La Bella with standard Fender bridge for years and everything is fine until now.
    (Setup the truss-rod bridge saddles and etc so you can get the best as low action as you'd like)

12. Slowpicker

Slowpicker

Had rehearsal yesterday evening, bridge as well as E string still in place... :smug:

Really appreciated your responses!