1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Fender Vintage Modified Squire question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smokey713, Oct 8, 2010.

1. smokey713

smokey713

ok so i just recently had to sell my stingray and ive been jonesin to turn my warwick back into a tenor bass so i put a new set of strings on my girlfriends vintage modified squire bass. so the question is would the squire be worth upgrading (new neck, new pickups, new bridge, etc.). i was thinking of buying an actual jazz neck and some decent pickups (bartolinis maybe) to put in it but keeping the body. what do you guys think?

2. crow01

crow01

not worth it. have that squire. upgraded pickups and bridge. bass still needs electronics changed. there is bad static on it. It goes out of tune constantly and has (forgot what you call it), some spots sound louder than the rest.
    If you r thinking of buying a new neck. Might as well just buy a used fender MIA.

3. conqr

conqr

:eyebrow:

4. trunkshope6

trunkshope6

well whats wrong with it right now,coming from an owner of a stingray and choice fenders,i find nothing wrong with the squiers coming out,i love my classic vibe jazz.maybe the best thing u can do is upgrade the tuners as everything else is pretty good.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SnakeKappele

SnakeKappele

Unless you buy used stuff or cheap crap, you just can't do a complete re-work of a bass cheaper than buying what you are trying to make it into.

If I price all the parts to build a Jazz bass, it is almost as much as a Fender American Standard Jazz Bass.

You would at least need to keep the neck and body.

7. Smokin' Toaster

Smokin' Toaster Supporting Member

I've got a Squire VM jazz fretless, and I thought it was a good enough bass that I bought a J-Retro preamp for it. I Paid $235 for the bass, new straplocks and an SKB case, and then paid $160 for the J-Retro pre. Bought them all from TBer's Bless your hearts. That's a pretty substantial investment compared to what I paid for the bass, and that's a testamonial to how nice I think the bass is. I'd say they offer a pretty good bang for the buck. Now I'm thinking about a Squire Jag.

8. pedroims

pedroims

look for an already mod bass, I got an squier affinity with the new Fender SCN and Audere preamp for $200.

9. Batmensch

Batmensch

I have two Vintage Modified basses, a Jazz and the new amber P, and neither one needs any mods at all. Despite what some would have you believe, modding Squier VM's is not always a given. If you're into modding for the fun of it, go ahead and mod your little heart out, but VM's do NOT NEED MODS to be good instruments. Anybody who says you might as well save up for a "real" Fender because you'd end spending as much fixing up a Squier is full of it, especially with the VM and CV lines.

10. smokey713

smokey713

well i actually dont have a problem with the bass it actually does play and sound really well for a squire but i was just wondering if it could be better by upgrading it a bit. thanks for the inquiries guys

11. BigOldHarry

BigOldHarry

Sounds like the only part you want to keep is the body (?)

12. Arranger

Arranger

Just bought a Squier Vintage Modified Precision in transparent amber with maple neck last night. I would have paid any amount for any Fender Precision product and played all the MIA models on the wall next to it. The salesman says, "Hey, let's just try this for kicks" and hands me the Squier VM P. The tone was fuller and richer and more flexible than any of the others I played. The neck and action were excellent. I bought it and I'm quite pleased. For me it's the sound that has to come first, reliability comes second and form/fit/appearance come last. I've sold too many basses that I bought under the wrong premise. This bass has tremendous classic P tone and only some limited dead spots that I'd expect from a passive instrument. It think these "Duncan Designed" pickups are really decent. No noise at all. The weight and balance are fine and the book matched tiger-grained body is lovely. I'll get a photo up soon.

The worst feature of this bass is the machine heads. They feel thinner and actually sharper to the touch than my US Deluxe Jazz - definitely sub-grade. They work well, but I'm thinking that they'll likely rust out sooner. Maybe the rest of the hardware will go the same route. There's a bit of unfinished edge on the bottom of the back of the neck that a bit of light sanding would likely correct. I hate the balsa wood color of the raw maple neck. It doesn't even have gloss on the headstock. Can I complain for what I paid? Not really.

I told my bandmates that if the neck does not look like a pretzel in two years I'll probably add a new set of tuners and maybe knobs if they corrode.

I've got to say it's the SOUND - the TONE - that blows me away. It is truly a vintage P sound and I'm going to let it be my yardstick if I decide that I ever want a "Real" MIA P. I won't buy another P without putting it up against this weenie lil' Squier.

Now I have a bass that I can leave it in a corner in the bar and go get a beer and if it isn't there when I return I'm not going to go cry home. If it was a horse, it would be a "grade" horse. You know the one - the one that gets ridden.

Photo added:
    [​IMG]

13. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

That's the answer. If there are no problems, it doesn't need to be upgraded!!!!!

14. Batmensch

Batmensch

To Arranger :That is almost my exact experience with the VM P, except mine has NO dead spots or rough bits on the neck (my VM Jazz had a couple of those "rough' spots, though.) that I can find. Agree with you on the tone, the only thing I thought it needed to add that extra bit of vintage vibe was to add GHS flats and a bridge cover with a mute. Great bass.

15. Arranger

Arranger

Photo added to post above. Really not a sore sight in transparent amber.

16. Batmensch

Batmensch

Nice tiger striping. Mine didn't have that. Mine is pretty much "normal" (but still gorgeous) wood grain:

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    I'm jealous!

17. Arranger

Arranger

No need to be jealous at all- that looks great. Actually, looks more vintage. Where did the ash tray come from? I really like it.

18. PBassFunk

PBassFunk

Jaysas, I have to say this new Squier looks an awful lot like my 2001 Anniversary P. Very nice!

19. Batmensch

Batmensch

Musician's Friend, about 17-18 bucks. If you get one, fair warning. Mine had burrs on the underside of the mounting holes that scratched up the finish on my SX that I originally had the ashtray on, I had to file it smooth before I put it on the P.
    Oh, and I agree about the vintage look. I had a '78 P-bass with a natural fiinish and black PG like that, (except it had a RW board), and that had about thirty years worth of aging, and the finish on this new Squier has that same basic shade. I like it, very nostalgic for me.

20. bassdog

bassdog

I have a new Amber VM Precision and don't think much if any modifying is necessary at all either. It is a fine player as is. All I did was put a 250 tone cap in instead of the 500 it comes with. The DR HiBeams I use seemed to be a little brittle on the high end on this bass with the tone full. The 250 took care of that nicely. The satin neck is great but could easily be tinted and lightly pollied for a different darker look but I like it as is. I put a white guard on mine. The pup sounds is good but I am wondering what an "orig. '62" would sound ike on this bass.

I think tuners work fine and seem no worse that other cheap tuners I have on my two MIJ Fenders. Pots are smooth and quiet. What changing them would accomplish I'm not sure. My bridge was misaligned by approx. 5/32 but I fixed that. I may put a tusq nut in but the current one seems fine too.

I bought because I could affort it. If I wanted to spend more, I would have gotten a Fender; so I don't want to put more $ into this one, unless it turns out to be a dog as is, but I don't think it will. Bob

21. ysand

ysand

A bit off-topic but...

..it's squiER people!!!!
    Come on, you'd never be confused with fendre!