Fender (vintage) PJ project (help)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by stanknuckle, Feb 8, 2013.

1. stanknuckle

stanknuckle

Hi all, I bought me a 1970's P bass... its been unloved and someone rather silly and I guess blind, has changed the bridge to a schaller roller type and it's way off centre to the bass side...
    Also, the J route is off to the bass side too. The route measures 93mm length. I plan to install my Dimarzio UJ in it and that measures 95mm. Good thing is, that I have some room on the treble side to play with to hopefully even out the route. BUT, the screw area semi circle routes wont be matching up I bet!
    Please correct me and or guide me on this one... the plan is to use a J bridge size router template, dremel, sand paper and fine sharp small chisel to gradually open that route...
    The bridge; I'm replacing that with a threaded 60's style fender 5 hole type.
    Fingers crossed that the strings can be centered over the pickup magnets.
    Has anyone ran into this sort of thing before (route not being correctly performed?)

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

hopefully you can just put the vintage bridge into the original 5 holes under that schaller; at that point, string it up, center the strings over each saddle for now, and mess with the neck-body joint to see if maybe the neck is shifted over a little (happens all the time). while tuned to pitch, you'd just loosen the 4 screws a quarter turn, push the neck over until it lines up with the outside strings, and re-tighten.

once you get the new (old-style) bridge and the strings straight with the neck, you'll be in a better position to see how off the J rout really is.

if the rout is indeed too small and/or offset, the best way to correct it is with a plexiglass router template and a plunge router with a bearing on the bit. that's how you get clean, sharp square edges to the hole.

3. stanknuckle

stanknuckle

Thanks mate. Great way to start indeed. The neck pocket is pretty tight so there's not much play at all. The neck does not need to be squeezed in though...
    Once I get started on the modifications, I'll take a series of photo's and post them.
    It's just the J route that's really gonna be the issue. It has definitely not been cut dead center. If I just can't get the strings to line up over the poles, I'll probably opt for a Barden pickup in the bridge position.

4. stanknuckle

stanknuckle

Its done! Need to have a scratch plate made and get another tele style knob. Pics coming...
    Dimarzio ultra jazz and it exceeded my expectations. Very throaty and when blended with the p it makes for an awesome solid supporting tone.

5. Register to disable this ad