1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Fender vintage unnumbered parts

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 30yobass, Jan 3, 2014.

1. 30yobass

30yobass

Hi amigos,

I´ve been looking for vintage ´78 precision pup´s and bridge covers and a thumbrest, but can anyone tell a real vintage one from a relic one?

As these parts are unmarked, I have no clue if what people sell on ebay it´s the real deal or the just left them in the sun for months (that´s actually what I´m doing with a thumbrest i just bought :bassist:)

So can you really tell or is it about finding an honest seller?

Thanks, peace, and fat strings.

2. pfox14

pfox14

Pretty hard to tell the real stuff from the fake stuff if you're talking about parts that don't have serial numbers or manufacturer marks on them. My suggestion is to buy what you need directly from Fender, so you know what you're getting is the real deal.

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

You can tell the bridge cover from the modern version. The old one came with a strip of dense black neoprene like foam inside it. Even removing it left the adhesive. There was also some kind of inked rubber stamp on them too.

The thumb rests on the older ones just look and feel a bit different. Softer edges on the old ones, denser more solid plastic.

4. 30yobass

30yobass

Yep BurningSkies, I´ve seen that before, like this one
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121244089440?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

It seems that this guy has all the (expensive) parts I´m looking for

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. 30yobass

30yobass

Thanks pfox, but do Fender sell old stock parts?

7. Lownote38

Lownote38

No. They sell reissue parts that come close and will fit, but they aren't NOS parts.

8. 30yobass

30yobass

That´s what i thought... Thanks Lownote.

9. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

The biggest thing is checking out the sellers feedback and check to see if they have sold anything similar before and ask a few questions if they give the old " I'm not sure but the guy I bought it from worked at Fender for a long time" stay clear.

10. BurningSkies

I got mine from a 'tech' (I use that term loosely after seeing his work) I knew. I asked about it, he opened a large metal toolbox filled with covers and piled them out on his counter and said "Take whatever you want...in the old days no one wanted them so we took them off at the store and had piles of them..used to throw them all out".

He was just happy to get rid of them, no charge.

11. BurningSkies

12. 30yobass

30yobass

Thanks for your help compadres!

13. thebrian

thebrian The Brian abides. Gold Supporting Member

The vast majority of late '70s P/Us will have a code on the underside of at least one of the P/U halves ending in "78" or whatever year you're after. '77 P/Us would be correct in a '78 also.

The thumbrests in the late '70s had straighter, less rounded edges than '60s/early '70s TRs, and they were blacker in color (as opposed to dark brown/burgundy).

The chrome covers are harder to tell apart from the RIs, but like mentioned earlier, the bridge cover should have some old residue left on there from the foam mute. The RI P/U covers are a bit rounder in shape than the vintage ones and IIRC, the screw holes are smaller.