Fender vs Other Bass, Fretboard size

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cesioor, Dec 9, 2013.

1. cesioor

cesioor

Hi!
    I am playing bass for about 2 years. I only play with acoustic for that periods. I want to buy an electric bass to improve my playing style. I asked my friend, he was playing bass for years, and he told me, "I suggest you to buy ibanez or other bass. Fender's fretboard size is wider and would be hidious for short fingers like yours"

So I check the internet and found that fender generally uses 20 frets and other bass, like my cort acoustic bass use 23 frets.

Is it right that the fretboard of fender/squier is wider and longer? Or my friend just felt wider because fender uses "c" neck.

Currently I haven't check to the local music store. So please help me as you can.
  2. azzyrazzy

azzyrazzy

Media:
    Just go and try a bunch of different basses in a store, and get a feel.
  3. Bass Fund

Bass Fund

Try a Fender Jazz.
  4. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much Supporting Member

Your friend has given you incomplete information. Not all Fender necks are the same. And the number of frets can vary between different models of bass from the same manufacturer. He is right about Ibanez usually having thinner necks - but not always. A Fender Jazz, as mentioned above, is narrow. I think your friend was talking specifically about Precision basses (and even some of theose come with Jazz necks).

As said above, go try things out in store. When it comes to necks, feel is more important than figures. What sounds right for you on paper may not feel right in your hands. I've got small hands but have found that doesn't necessarily mean I like narower necks.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

+1
  7. cesioor

cesioor

[​IMG]
    Guys thanks for the answers. But when we say wider/longer, which part do you mean? From yellow to red, or yellow to blue? (From the picture I've uploded)
  8. frankieC

frankieC A swell guy from Warren Harding High

My personal preference regarding necks, is usually a Carvin neck. That's not to say they are better then Fender, or any other brand, I just find that Carvin necks are usually more comfortable for me. The exception to that, for me, would be RickenbAcker. The neck on my old 4001 is still my #1 choice.
  9. Matthijs

Matthijs

Can't see your picture, but wider is commonly measured by how long the nut itself is. How long your fretboard is, is measured by the 'mensur' the length of the vibrating part of the string and how many frets are on your board. So the amount of frets or length of the neck has nothing to do with width. I'm sorry that's about the best I can make this clear withoput drawing a picture.

Besides: a narrow neck is not nescessarily better for small hands. A shorter neck might be easier, but that's also a matter of personal preference.
  10. WoodyG3

WoodyG3 Supporting Member

Width at the nut is generally how wide a neck is considered. Scale length is how long, which is measured from the nut to the bridge. Two basses with the same scale length can have different numbers of frets, but the ones they have in common will be the same distance apart.
  11. Bredian

Bredian

Jazz neck is about the narrowest... I have a Precision Lyte with the Jazz neck... think its similar on the "Precision Deluxe"

Am finding similar necks on old Epiphone EBMs BUT

you just have to try a bunch of basses to find the combo that meets your price point.

A narrow neck is no good if the action is too high or cannot be lowered adequately.

The Ibanezes in the house play similarly. (son has a couple)...and have a range of qualities to meet most budgets.

The Cort wasn't much different, and cheap.

Most Viola shaped basses have very narrow necks that are usually shorter also, 30" range and the easiest of most I've played.
  12. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Except for folks who like high action and a narrow neck.

YMMV