Fender vs. Squire Fretboards

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by prater, Jan 2, 2014.

1. prater

prater Supporting Member

Is there a treatment or different quality to the rosewood fretboards on Fenders?

I have a Fender MIM Jazz bass and the fretboard is almost shiny, smooth almost a patina like quality to it. You can see the grain but but can't really feel it.

Meanwhile the fretboard my Squier P bass looks dry, dull, it appears to be bare wood.

The Fender neck has a gloss finish, while the Squier has a satin finish.

Does this translate to the fretboard, has more use brought out a type of patina on my Fender.

Should I treat the Squier fretboard with lemon oil or something similar?
  2. Ironbar

Ironbar Banned

I used this stuff on the rosewood fretboard of the used Washburn bass I bought. Applied several coats until it wouldn't drink any more in. The fretboard darkened up beautifully, and now has a rich satin finish.

[​IMG]
  3. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings Supporting Member

At the end of the day, the quality of woods used will be a higher quality in the more expensive instrument. That's part of the increased selling price.

The more you use a Rosewood fingerboard, the darker it will generally get. Your fingers have an "oil" on their surface which will over time affect the color of the wood. Your fingers will also act as a sort of "burnisher" on the wood as well.

That's a question which will yield as many different answers as folks who answer it. ;)
  4. Precision101

Precision101

This stuff is the best.
  5. Register to disable this ad