Fender - What do you think?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RASHOSS, Feb 17, 2014.

1. RASHOSS

RASHOSS Supporting Member

Greetings.

I've been keeping my eyes open for a guitar in this price range. I already own a pretty nice Music Man Stingray, and am looking for something to own, in addition to what I've currently got.

Is this a good deal? http://ventura.craigslist.org/msg/4311120105.html

2. Wallace320

Wallace320

Its price it's "justifiable"

I said "justifiable" because - as Billy Sheehan once said - "there can be beaten basses for the reason they sound killer and almost untouched basses for the reason they sound dull"

Precision élite weren't from the most sought after Fender lines out there, that's why that's the price they tend to respect also over here - same forgot-in-the-closet condition - while first reissue series of that period tend to be more expensive and way more wearing.

All of this to say
    I agree it's a bass that can only rise its value with time. I also agree it's worth every historical interest. I'd talk it down to $. 900.00 to grab it

Cheers,
    Wallace

3. RASHOSS

Thanks very much for your comments Wallace.

4. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    I would say the same. It is super rare but only slightly sought after/desireable.

They were nice basses and their rarity and coolness factor should make them more expensive over time.

I would buy it for under a grand if the neck, electronics, etc work properly and everything is all original.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Another +1 to that bass being rare, but not particularly desirable. The Elite series are an underappreciated model of vintage Fender. In my opinion, those basses will go up in value over the next 5 years. But at this moment, that green CL bass is priced over market value. You can buy Elite I's all day for well under $900. Granted it's in great shape, but still.

I question whether that's a factory fretless. Nearly all the fretless Fender basses I've seen from that era had unlined boards.

7. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

All the Elites I've seen have been heavy-ish (10 lbs.+),so you might want to ask the seller about that if it's a concern for you.

8. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

The price might be a bit high but it looks like it's in great shape. I love that color too! If you could get it for around $1000 that would be a better deal. Best to go check it out in person and then decide if you think it is worth it.

9. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Not at that price to high great shape or not. fretless basses are also harder to sell IMO.

10. Bongolation

Bongolation

Pass. Without a second thought.

11. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I think the price is high.

12. RASHOSS

I'm thinkin PASS too. I consider myself so lucky to have this community to put things in front of. Thank you for your comments.

Again, in my search for a nice Fender, I'm not sure what I should be looking for. Even though MANY people love them, I just don't want to get a Mex or Jap made Fender. I want an American made, but my budget is $1,000 range...maybe $1,500 max. It seems that every Guitar Center and local music shop has an American made Fender hanging on the wall. Are any of them "special", or are they just "same old same old" Fenders, off the wall?

13. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

$1k-$1.5k will buy you a super nice US-made Fender. You can buy:

• Roscoe Beck model
    • Stu Hamm Urge model
    • early 80's Precision Special
    • early 80's Precision Elite I or II
    • early 80's P or J bass
    • late 80's-early 90's vintage reissue model
    • early 90's J-plus or P-plus

Here's an Elite I at the proper selling price.

14. Bassisgood4U

Bassisgood4U Banned

I'd rather have that Elite, than have a new U.S. Fender(which costs four hundred more). Looks like it's in good shape, too. I say play it and make a decision. That thing's beautiful.

15. RASHOSS

16. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Pretty sure this is a TBer so I don't know if I am allowed to say this, but I wouldn't buy that at that price. I would say the Elite I is a better deal, it is in much better shape but a very different bass. That 70s P is in rough shape, the fretboard wood looks dry in places, the body has some "relicing" and the pickups have been replaced. I wouldn't pay more than $1100 for it, $1200 if it really spoke to me.

I recently sold an Elite I in much worse condition, and only in sunburst for $700. So I don't think $900-1000 is too insane, I would probably not pay more than $900 though personally. You can get a new used American Standard for that kind of coin as well, which would probably open up your options a lot more in terms of colours and features.

17. Doctor_Clock

Doctor_Clock The Moon Machine Gold Supporting Member

18. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

"Its not perfect but the marks on it are very light" - I can see the buckle rash on the back. That's not "very light".

That 70's walnut Precision is way overpriced at $1,400. If it was completely original and in excellent shape, maybe. But in it's current condition, with non-original electronics and pickguard - no way. You can buy a nice original 70's Pbass for less than $1,400 all day long.

Unless you need a bass right this very second, be patient and keep looking. You can find a nice early 80's Pbass for around $1,100.

19. Troph

Troph

Some people are willing to pay a premium for a 70s CBS Fender:
    1) Because they have some intangible "character" and
    2) Because they tend to hold value slightly better if they are still original.

Without the original pots, pickguard, and pickup, that example is not really collectible. As for character, well that one doesn't really speak to me at all.

If it were between that and a new US Precision, I'd go new.

20. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

A TB member recently picked this bass up. Early 80's, rare color, great shape (not entirely original) for $1,100. Keep your eyes open and you can find a nice deal. Don't worry about buying new. There'll be plenty of new P basses around next week if you decide to go that way.

21. deeptubes

deeptubes

The Elite in the ad is an '83. '83s had smooth sided bridges. '84s had pebbled/textured sides. The transparent green is a mid-level upgraded color. Never seen a fretless version of these. I have an '84 Elite II, same color. Love, love, love mine. It is heavy, about 13 lbs - northern ash - with a 1 3/4" wide nut. Neck is same thickness as my A neck P. The Elite I's have a vol and TBX control, while the II's have 2 vol, standard tone pot, 3 way for p'ups, 3 way for tone. P'ups are Lace sensors, but my understanding is that they were mass produced in China(need to verify, been awhile). Haven't used the bridge pickup in years. Easily the beefiest sounding bass I've ever owned. I've had mine for 14 years, and it's value is double what I paid for it back then. Oh yeah, just remebered...it's a VINTAGE bass this year! ;)