Fender Zone bass controls overhaul

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by wild4oldcars, Jan 13, 2013.

1. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Hey guys, i got a mim fender zone bass (p-j setup) a little while ago, and im not really digging the preamp, a little too thin sounding and sensitive to my ears. I really didnt want to have to deal with extra holes in the body (there are 5), so i got to thinking and decided on 2 volumes, 2 tones (not concentric), and a series parallel toggle switch. I took SeymourDuncan's diagram for jazz bass series parallel and Fender's for the 62 Jazz with concentric pots, and melded them together into what i believe will yield a usable configuration. Pot and cap values are still debatable, though cts and orange drop will probably be the winners for brand. If anyone has any thoughts on this diagram, whether it seems legitimate, or if its completely incorrect or impossible, please let me know, as it would be greatly appreciated. Sorry about the sloppy ms paint diagram, threw it together quite hurriedly for no apparent reason :p

seymour duncan: http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=jass_bass_sp

Fender: http://support.fender.com/service_diagrams/bass_guitars/019-0209C_SISD.pdf

Attached Files:

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Here's what you do...take out everything electronic that says Fender and keep it in a safe place in case you want to sell it one day. Then put either overwound passives or EMG's with a BQC preamp in it. The overwounds add the balls that you can't get with those Fender pickups or vintage style passive pickups, but you'll lose some treble response as a tradeoff. Might sound good to you that way....sounded good to me for a while, but I opted for more treble. EMG's kill in it, though, especially with that BQC preamp. Put them in my 95 P Lyte last year and now it does everything I need a bass to do. The Zone's very similar to the P Lyte, and I found it's very choosy about pickups so I imagine the Zone would be, too. And I'm sorry, but Fender has never made a decent active pickup system as far as I'm concerned.
  3. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

i dont really have a problem with the pickups' sound. i rather like it in contrast to my other basses. but live and in practices, i feel like the preamp is holding me back and id rather not shell out a good bit of money for a quality preamp. also, it would be nice not to have to worry about the 9v goin bad. so i reiterate, does anyone know if my diagram would work for what im trying to accomplish?
  4. ncapone

ncapone

Line6man had a great diagram that could also work too. For cap values I'd suggest .022 and .047 on the neck and bridge respectively.