Fender Zone Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by klejst, Jan 28, 2014.

1. klejst

klejst

I have been eye'ing a Fender Zone bass, it is out of state so I am not physically able to check it out and I currently have a email to the owner asking some questions but in the meantime I figured I would ask here too. Honestly I never heard of the Zone model and in doing some research and in the little I did find they were made in the early 2000's in both a MIM and MIA. The one in question appears to be MIM however features the string through which normally I see on MIA basses. Also the Fender head stock logo appears to be black instead of the silver again which usually going off other Fender basses meant MIM. Also I from what I understand these only came in a few colors too and perhaps black was one of them...but the color on this bass looks dull like the finish/shine was rubbed off (repainted/finished?).

Am I right or even close to any of this? Anyone have any input or could set me straight? They want $310 for the bass however I am not sure if it is even all original or worth that price. Below is some photos.

[​IMG], [​IMG], [​IMG], [​IMG]

2. awilkie84

awilkie84

There's something off with that G saddle or the nut. The G string is right on the edge of the board.

3. superjesus

superjesus Supporting Member

Looks like an MIM Zone. IIRC, I don't believe they came in black, but they did come in a color called Pewter. The photography isn't the best, but I agree that the bass above looks like its had the clear coat sanded off or has been refinished in some way. There look like some finish inconsistencies, but it could just be poor lighting.

There are enough inconsistencies from stock that I'd be very hesitant without seeing the bass in person. Too many potential modifications that might need fixing.

Edit: +1 to what the above guy said about the G string.

4. klejst

klejst

I noticed that too, perhaps an adjustment or setup could help that. Also I noticed the neck/fret board appears to be longer then the standard P or J bass. I was thinking the same, appears to be just painted over, there are some chips where it does not show that great in the photos but it appears to be orange or brown under it which they did make it in a burst finish from what I read.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. superjesus

superjesus Supporting Member

That's common to all Lyte/Zone basses. They all have 22 fret necks.

7. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

I have a zone. I got it for 250+ shipping.
    This may be of some help?
    http://support.fender.com/service_diagrams/bass_guitars/013-5800A_SISD.pdf
    According to that, Black was a standard color.
    On my zone, the logo is white. That almost looks like someone took a fine tip sharpie to it (imo).

My zone is certainly not the best bass, but it is light and a decent pj. I gutted the electronics on mine (they're kinda weak) and that definitely helped the tone. The neck pocket on mine is pretty loose, but it is still stable, and sets up/intonates/tunes very well. The neck on mine, however, is an absolute dream. like j thats chunky front to back, just a good feeling neck. Somewhat glossy, but not like the modern cv squiers. Maybe not worth 310 for a mediocre example like mine, but for a good one, sure.

From your photos, the string spacing looks way off. That could be a problem. I believe I've seen gloss black zones for sale, so its possible this could have been marred to a matte/satin finish. Maybe not a problem, but something to note. Hope this helps, feel free to ask me any questions.

8. jbalou02

jbalou02

that bass need work! you tell him 200 dolla no holla

9. awilkie84

awilkie84

Given that the saddles aren't threaded, a setup's not going to fix that. You'll need a new nut, or saddle with the string pulled in.

10. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

The saddles are partially threaded

11. JonDark

JonDark

I was looking at the listing. I would say the $340 shipped price he wants is high for the condition and issues pointed out let alone any other possible issues. Listing is very vague.

Looking at sold auctions within the past couple months some have sold in the mid $200 range looking in way better condition. I don't get a good vibe off the listing at all TBH.

Sight unseen I would pass if it were me.

12. klejst

klejst

Thanks everyone for all the input, I decided with all things considered to pass on it. But at least I learned more about a bass I never knew Fender actually made

13. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

yeah, there's definitely better p-j's for the money