1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fenderbirds

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by alder, Feb 26, 2014.

1. alder

alder

The "Fenderbird" is a mash-up of a Gibson Thunderbird body and a Fender neck. You'd expect such a thing to be a mutt, but this mutt comes with a great pedigree - invented by no less than John Entwistle of The Who.

Of course, Fender and Gibson aren't going to collaborate on this, so if you want one, you pretty much have to build it yourself. This is a fun project that is not terribly difficult or expensive, with all the appropriate bodies and necks floating around on eBay just waiting for a Dr. Frankenstein to sew them together.

So let's see what people have done. 'Explorer-birds' are ok too, but please only genuine cross-breeds, everyone already knows what a real Thunderbird looks like.
  2. alder

alder

I'll start. Here are my two.

[​IMG]

On the left is my "Epi-bird" with an Epiphone Pro-4 body and a Mark Hoppus Precision neck. On the right is ... I just call it Fenderbird 2. Oiled cherry wood body, MightyMite Jazz neck, and Musicman hardware? Both have active electronics with master volume, bass & treble boost/cut, and passive bypass. Epi-bird has 3-way switch for the stock humbuckers. FB2 has a 4-way rotary switch for all the possible modes of the pickup: neck-series-parallel-bridge.

The Epi-Bird's neck is sunk pretty far into the body, because the original instrument is a neck-thru design with no heel. Even using strategically placed bushings instead of a plate, the neck just couldn't be mounted any other way. On the plus side, reach and balance are much better than you'd expect.

Both hand-made in the garage. They'll be joined by a non-reverse 'Bird someday, I have all the parts, but not the time.
  3. billiam5billion

billiam5billion

If Warmoth still made Tbird bodies, I'd have one in a hearbeat.
  4. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    Mine's made from a standard Epiphone body and a no name lefty neck. I used Seymour Duncan '51 P Bass pickups potted in N.O.S. '76 Gibson covers. It's wired VVTT with a 3 postion switch - set up by Mike Lull.

[​IMG]
  5. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    I'll be posting in the morning :D
  6. hover

hover

Yeah, there's a few threads on this already.

All of them awesome.
  7. knigel

knigel Supporting Member

Here are my two!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And number three in progress--El Tookaybird!
  8. Tender Prey

Tender Prey Supporting Member

These may not technically fit as FenderBirds but this is my Warmoth/Carvin Bird (Warmoth body, Carvin Jazz style neck, PJ pickups)

[​IMG]

And my Epi NR that I basically consider a FenderBird

[​IMG]
  9. cableguy

cableguy

+1 I have a Gibson bridge and a Fender clone P neck.
  10. awilkie84

awilkie84

God, I want a Fenderbird!!! These Reverse Ts are gorgeous!
  11. godofthunder59

Disclosures:
    My first was built in '81[​IMG]My since sold Warmoth build[​IMG][​IMG]This is one of my favorites I built, Model G powered NR FB[​IMG][​IMG] Part 2 coming up
  12. godofthunder59

Disclosures:
    My Cataldo JAEbird, can't say enough about this bass. Imho Carlo make the best most accurate Fenderbirds. Unavailable at the time of delivery mine has since been equipped with Thunderbucker pickups.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]Here is a deep cutaway Fenderbird I have been working on forever:rolleyes: at the moment it is strung up in the shop awaiting hardware.[​IMG]Finally another shot of my white NR I really love this bass ;)[​IMG]
  13. NOT

NOT Supporting Member

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1393610185.156109.jpg

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1393610217.771984.jpg

My two Fenderbirds. One Warmoth, and one Cataldo JAEbird.