1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fender's 6 string Jazz basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rockin John, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Rockin John

Rockin John

A year or two ago Fender did a couple of 6er Jazz basses: there was a fretted and a fretless.

I fancied the fretless at the time but, now I can afford one, they seem to have totally disappeared!

What happened to these instruments?

Ta.

RJ
  2. songwriter21

songwriter21 Supporting Member

3. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

Fender did a 6 strings because Steve Bailey was with them ... but their relationship didn't last very long and as soon as Bailey went to Warwick they stopped making them.

Fender will always be a 4 strings 20 frets compagny
  4. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

Well..... 4 and 5 strings!
  5. jamminology101

jamminology101 Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Glockenklang
    Hey the deluxe models have 21!!!!
  6. garp

garp

Yeah, but plenty of haters claim that Fender’s fives are illegitimate because they’re all 34" scale.
  7. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor, Lakland
    Really? I never read that. Sadowskys are 34" scale as well.

I like the Lakland 35" more, but I also like the Fender and Sadowksy 5's a lot.
  8. awilkie84

awilkie84

Many companies build a 34" 5-er. The issue is that the Fender 5-ers are just the 4 string model with a wider fretboard & extra string. No real development seems to have gone into them to make a solid & consistent B string from bass to bass.
  9. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

Sorry. Got to disagree with you here. I've owned 3 American Deluxe Jazz 5ers and all had a fine B string. Some of the earlier stuff, yeah, pretty poor B strings, but there are pretty damn good! But back to the OP. Unfortunately, Fender's relationship with Steve Bailey didn't last too long. There are a few others out there now that make a 6 string Jazz, however. LowEnd Basses are pretty damn snappy. Very high quality! you might look into them.
  10. groooooove

groooooove

its too bad, but fender has its market. like they said before- 4 strings and 20 frets has lasted them this long.

i think they could sell a ton of other stuff if they put some effort into making it right, and marketing them, but they just dont need to- they're doing fine.

there's also so many other companies doing 6 string jazz style basses, so it's not like we're going without. the carvin LB76 is a favorite of mine, similar price range, from what i've seen higher quality standards. but its still not a fender!
  11. Wallace320

Wallace320

it's the Apeiròn classic, and it comes in a shiny 6er version:D
    clover apeiròn classic 6[1].jpg

I really think we should be in the €. 1.500,00 and €. 2.000,00 price area for it

Cheers,
    Wallace
  12. bassbenj

bassbenj

I have to disagree with this even though it's true for my Fender Jazz V. But mine is a 2002 model. I think you'll find that Fender 5ers after 2008 are all excellent with excellent B strings. Let's give them the credit for that.

However, they still seem to be scared to death of things with 6 strings.

And persoanlly I'd like to see Fender offering a few less "signature" 4 string models and add a few more 5 and 6 string models like say P/J and have them fretted and fretless.

I also think having options of 20 or 24 frets would be nice too. I'm a fan of 24 frets, especially on 6ers, but even so I don't always want 24. How hard would it be to have a stock of necks in these basic options? Instead Fender seems to like to concetrate on vast choices of cosmetic features instead.

If I ran Fender I'd try to keep a basic line of quality playable good-looking jazz, P and P/J basses in 4,5, and 6 string versions in 21 adn 24 frets in fretted and fretless and we could call it, um, I don't know, maybe the American Standard line of basses? And I woudn't care if they ONLY came in burst with tort guards or even just plain old black paint.

Really this is more about keeping a stock of bass necks rather than a huge stock of basses.
  13. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

:scowl:
    That's totally lame. If it's a good bass, the B string is great on a 34".
  14. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

Steve has actually come on Talkbass to discuss some of the situation. I got the sense that he and the artist relations people at Fender weren't seeing eye to eye. And shortly after their deal expired he went on to work with Warwick.

From a broader standpoint, I think Fender was of a mind that the 6 string bass market wasn't strong enough FOR THEM to support this particular model. Be that as it may, I was genuinely very surprised when Fender announced the Steve Bailey signature model 6 string. For most of the 1990's the 6 string bass was my primary instrument. And I can even remember writing an email to Fender's CEO during that time asking why they wouldn't produce a 6 string bass.

But that was the 90's, and I think that 6 string was more en vogue. In recent years there seems to be more of a focus in the bass playing community on 4 and 5 string instruments, with more extended range instruments being a little more niche.

Still, I would have liked an opportunity to try out the fretted version of the Steve Bailey 6 string. It definitely looked sharp! And I recall the neck shape of his Aria Pro II model 6 string from the 90's was pretty comfortable. If I see one in a shop I would be very tempted to try it out.
  15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'm with you. All my 5-string Fenders have excellent B strings.
  17. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

Actually that link shows the Fender Steve Bailey model, but shows a number of alternatives since the Fender had been discontinued. Further down the page you can actually see the discontinued instrument:

[​IMG]
  18. Wallace320

Wallace320

http://www.basscentral.com/ksd.shtml

both in the '60s version (alder body, rosewood fingerboard) and in the '70s version (ash body, maple fingerboard) with trademark Burner headstock for the 6ers (three tunin' keys per side)

Cheers,
    Wallace