1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fendowsky build ?'s

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by takhammer, Dec 6, 2012.

1. takhammer

takhammer Supporting Member

I am trying to Trick out a Fender 24 V(M.I.Korea) Jazz bass, by replacing the guts(Sadowsky Pre and PU's)..

I am wondering(if anyone has any experience with this particular mod) are the already placed, thru-body string holes going to be a problem for a bridge that has 19mm string spacing, instead of the standard fender 17mm? I know it's a small difference, but I figure that to be the biggest issue, besides the nut, which i plan to replace with a new resized bone nut, and of course, getting the PU's to fit right.

If anyone else has done this and knows of any other hang-up's that i'm not thinking about, I'd appreciate the head's up. Thanks in advance TB'er's....
  2. Beej

Beej

Going from 17mm to 19mm is actually big enough to require some careful figuring. The string thru holes probably won't line up nicely underneath, but they can possibly be drilled. I'd actually be more concerned about whether or not the strings are going to be too close to the edge of the fretboard on the 24th fret with the increased string spacing. If you don't have the bridge and bass in front of you, you can do a quick full scale calculation with a measuring tape...
  3. takhammer

Thanks Beej, I think you meant to say "if you do have the bridge and bass in front of you," as opposed to "if you don't have the bridge and bass in front of you."

I actually haven't purchased the Fender yet, or I'd have a lot more knowledge on the measurement's.

I'm just wanting to make sure that I'm not wasting time with this project.

Anyone, feel free to let me know if there's a better 5 string to put the sadowsky guts into, like maybe a Lakland 55-AJ, or something else I'm not thinking of...

I just really dig the Sadowsky Jazz sound, but don't have the $$$$ to pony up, or rather, if I did, I'd possibly be living on the streets, in which case, I'd need a nicer hard case.
  4. soulman969

soulman969

A "Fendowsy". I like that. It's a nice way to describe a hybrid with a single name that don't require much explanation. I have a Fender Tele that started out as a Nashville body and was converted into a Nocaster with all the trimmings and a soft "V" neck.

I already own a CS Nocaster so this one became my "Nashcaster", part Nashville and part CS Nocaster. Same thing with that "Fendowsky". Good call.
  5. takhammer

I wish I could take credit for the sweet name, but it was thought of long ago, in a land far, far away....
  6. soulman969

soulman969

But you have possession and that trumps credit right? Bird in the hand and all that. You're the proud possessor of an original, or semi original "Fendowsky". ;)

Who cares who gets credit for the name. You have the bass. LOL
  7. bmc

bmc

Fastest and most affordable way to get that sound is with a Sadowsky outboard preamp, maybe swap out the pickups for better quality. Pouring money into the bass will add little resale value. From my experience with Fender Jass from MIA to MIJ and other Fender clones, the addition of the preamp was night and day. You might want to also consider the vol-balance-tone mod.
  8. buzzbass

buzzbass

I took Roger Sadowsky 2 American Fenders back in late 90s and had him do the builds. Cost me like 350 per bass, and I couldn't be happier with the results. One I eventually traded for a Valenti 5(also a wonderful bass). I regert giving that bass up. The other one I have to this day and it will always be my favorite bass. For that price I got p'ups, pre, any required routing and full setup and fret dress. Roger even had a couple of custom pickguards done for me , for just a little extra cost. That when he was still in Times Square.
  9. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:
    As far as changing electronics, you might get the result you want from buying a Sadowsky preamp pedal.

Rob
  10. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Is that specific to the 24 fret J bass?

I believe that 19mm is the standard for other Fender basses.
  11. takhammer

I'm not sure, but on Sadowsky's website, it says:

Note: Sadowsky J-Bass 5-string pickups are both the same size as a bridge position 4-string pickup. They are intended for 3/4" (19mm) string spacing at the bridge. They DO NOT fit Fender 5-string basses
  12. bassgod0dmw

Are we talking about a 4 string or a 5 string?

EDIT: I guess I missed that part. Sorry.
  13. takhammer

So, to the people who recommend the Sadowsky Preamp Pedal:

I would have to use the bass in passive mode, because you can't run two pre's, correct?
  14. bassgod0dmw

You can run as many pre's as you want. They just start to get redundant...

Preamp on the bass
    Preamp pedal
    Preamp on the amp
  15. takhammer

Interesting...