1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fiddle bass pickups in a normal bass?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by prbrianpr, Jan 23, 2013.

1. prbrianpr

prbrianpr

I have a normal elecric bass with a humbucker pickup. I saw a nice looking humbucker gold pickup but when I read the description it says that is for fiddle (violin) bass. It fits but what sound I would spect of it? I tried to buy a EMG pickup alone without the knobs and all that things but I dont found one. I really want a shiny gold pickup instead of black pickup.
  2. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Are you talking about the Schaller pickup? It's made for a very curved fingerboard. it wont work on a regular bass.

You have to give more details about your bass. There aren't too many bass pickups with shiny metal covers.
  3. prbrianpr

prbrianpr

4. B String

B String Supporting Member

Bass violin or bass fiddle or upright bass or string bass pickups are in a different universe than electric bass pickups.

Sometimes people who sell on Ebay might have a limited knowledge of what they're selling. If the pickups in the auction are actually bass pickups they are ONLY for an electric bass.

Maybe go to Bestbassgear.com or another parts site and ask what the have for Gold pickups that would fit your bass.
    From looking at the picture I think you may have a hard time finding Gold pickups without some serious routing of you bass.
  5. ReiPsaeg

ReiPsaeg

I think those are pickups for a Hofner type of bass. Those typically have much tighter string spacing than a standard bass guitar, so they might not fit.
  6. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Oh OK. Not a fiddle, just two humbuckers with metal covers.

As others have said, they will be too narrow to work with that bass.

If you really want them gold, get some spray paint for plastic.
  7. prbrianpr

prbrianpr