1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

FIFA World Cup 2014

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by GrumpiusMaximus, Apr 6, 2014.

1. GrumpiusMaximus

GrumpiusMaximus I've Seen Things You People Wouldn't Believe Supporting Member

So. Two months to go.

Thoughts? Opinions?

I know certain people have had flutters already. Anyone outstanding favourites? Minnows that could be sharks?

2. jrthebassguy

jrthebassguy Supporting Member

Germany or Brazil will wind up champions, I think.

USA have been so up and down, I wouldn't be shocked if they somehow finish 2nd in their group to advance to the knockout rounds, nor would I be surprised if they get trounced 0-3 handily and come home with their tail between their legs. I have faith in Herr Klinnsman though.

3. GrumpiusMaximus

The US/England match at the last World Cup was the most irritating performance by an England team I've ever seen...

I think Spain, still. Not England this time.

4. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

I think you'll find Bill will probably merge any WC talk into the regular football thread ;)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. GrumpiusMaximus

Please accept my humble apologies.

7. Vince Klortho

Vince Klortho

I forgot to add, Spain has a very strong team as do Brazil and Argentina. There should be some very interesting games. I am going to make sure I have lots of room on my DVRs.

8. GrumpiusMaximus

No no, I'm just pointlessly grovelling.

After the thrashing Titus' Everton gave my Gunners today, I have to grovel.

9. pedroims

pedroims

To me is either Brazil or Argentina but I would like to see Uruguay raising the cup.

Leo Smith likes this.
  10. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Supporting Member

Media:
    Okay, people. Please accept my apologies for this - but my own acute footballing sensibilities, honed over a near fifty year love of the game, tell me that there is a proper time and place for this thread, and it isn't now.

Be patient. It's coming. I'll merge this in at the appropiate time.

11. BassyBill

Media:
    Just for info, our regular discussion thread on here is most certainly NOT restricted to the English Premier League. Indeed, that's one of the key features of the thread.

12. BassyBill

Media:
    Okay - opening this up now as some folks seem to be champing at the bit. All world cup speculation and wildly improbable predictions in here, please. Leave the other thread for important stuff like the playoffs and the possible effect of promotion on the prices of Molineux pies.

13. Thor

Thor Thanks Andy Pyle for showing me the way. Supporting Member

Media:
    Oh my, I am afraid to ask what Molineux pies are now. Haggis and vegamite baked in a crust?

14. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Media:
    Ahh world cup. My heart will be with Italy. The cup will be raised by Germany or Brazil. I'd prefer Germany. I hope Uruguay don't even win a throw in.

15. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

That's fighting talk where Bill comes from.

cheezewiz likes this.
  16. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

You know, despite our regular bitching at Blatter and co in the regular football thread...it's times like this that I remember why I love this game so much.

Just hearing the phrase 'The World Cup' evokes memories of the Brazil team of the 70's in colour, Kempes and Maradona, Platts volley, Schumachers assault, Waddles sky-high peno...and countless others.

The big kid in me will post regular updates as I fill in my Panini sticker book.

Shut up, Darth.

Darth Handsome likes this.
  17. Darth Handsome

Darth Handsome

In that case, let's talk about sheep now.

Edit: Never mind. Paco just bumped the Bigfoot thread. Ttyl.

18. MartinG1957

MartinG1957 You can never have too many bones.... Supporting Member

Oi you lot stop dissing the noble haggis!
    Took me several hours to catch one for my breakfast this morning - fast wee b#ggers!

19. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

me talk engish wun day. I have no idea what you just wrote, Martin.

Can't wait for WC. good contingent of So. Korea fans in L.A.
    It isn't Mardi Gras but it doesn't suck.

20. BassyBill

Media:
    The thing I love most about the World Cup is the sheer quantity of football. While it lasts, there is ALWAYS a game to watch whenever you turn on the TV. It makes for a definite "no brainer" in terms of what channel to tune into.

And then there's the unpredictability. Sometimes the big matches fall really flat - especially the final, which is usually the game I enjoy the least. But earlier on you get the likes of Cameroon, Japan et al putting on performances that light up the whole tournament and mesmerise everyone watching. Glorious. No other sporting spectacle in the world comes even close for me. I hardly saw any of the 2012 Olympics, but I will be glued to the screen for every minute I can manage for the World Cup.

21. MartinG1957

MartinG1957 You can never have too many bones.... Supporting Member

They always produce great moments.. Like the legendary time when Gordon Strachan scored for Scotland against Brazil... Big David Narey (defender) came up to him and said
    "What did you do that for, that's just gonnae annoy them! "
    He was right! Gubbed again :)
    (Gubbed - verb, Jockanese: given a severe drubbing, often accompanied by violence)