1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Filing a Nut

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by StingrayDerek, Nov 17, 2012.

1. StingrayDerek

StingrayDerek Supporting Member

I recently joined a band that requires D standard tuning so I bought 110-55 gauge strings so they could handle the tuning better. I realized they might be too big for the nut but bought them anyways and hoped for the best.

Well, they are a tight fit. So my question is, what is the best way to file a nut so that they will fit?

Thanks
  2. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

The best, a dedicated set of nut files.

The cheapest, fine emery cloth (or plain sandpaper if You're in a bind) wrapped over a drill-bit shank of a proper size.

Regards
    Sam
  3. SBassman

SBassman Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Dealer: PiccoBass Guitar-scale Basses
    Depending on what the nut is made out of, you can also use - the ends of the strings.
  4. StingrayDerek

How much would a set of nut files cost? I only plan on doing this one so I'm not sure if that will be worth it.
  5. CnB77

CnB77

A lot, plus you might need a few nuts to get it right
  6. StingrayDerek

Haha so I guess that is not an option.
  7. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member