1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Filing the nut

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Jay2U, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks

Dec 7, 2010
    23 ft below sea level
    I wanted to modify a nut for slightly heavier strings, so I needed a file for the job. As I didn't have the right size available, I had to find an alternative. Maybe this is old news, but a small drill and some sandpaper make a very suitable file in virtually any size.

[​IMG]

2. Yeah, I do too. I use a chainsaw file sometimes as well.

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    For light mods, this works nicely. Personally, I prefer emery cloth as it conforms to the bit without creasing. Then again, I'm spoiled as I own a set of nut files.

Riis

5. pfox14

pfox14

Dec 22, 2013
    That's a really good idea. I have a set of gauged nut files, but they are for guitar and I don't have ones big enough for bass strings, so I'll try your idea. Thanks for the tip.

6. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2013
    Athens, Greece
    Great idea! I have been wanting to buy a set of nut files, but don't have the money to spend.
    I do, however, have a huge set of various sized files (inch, metric and letter designations).

I like the idea of using emery cloth, too.

We also need to adjust for the thickness of the emery cloth/sand paper, for the overall size.

7. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    FWIW, I found the Dremel Micro Bit kit to contain more of the useful sizes.

Riis