Final Proof

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by mellowinman, Feb 17, 2013.

1. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Last night, we played a very successful gig. We had the audience in our pocket 100%. We sounded good; the performance was good; everybody was "on."

We had a drummer from a popular local band sit in on a song, and he was very good, and grateful to do it.

So there's some young guy there, and everybody is all, "Tommy plays drums; Tommy, go up there and play some drums!"

So Tommy (not his real name-his real name has been hidden as he is in the Drummer Protection Program, and relocated from another state,) goes up, and we do "I Hate my Life," which is one of our strongest songs.

First of all, Tommy doesn't know what DYNAMICS are, so he is bashing the living crap out of those drums AND cymbals, and making Krystal and I about deaf.

Second, TOMMY CANNOT PLAY.

That's right, Tommy has as much business behind a kit as I have in a male stripshow. Maybe even less. At least I have a shot at milking it for laughs.

He is all over the place, ahead of the beat; behind the beat; pretty much anywhere but ON the beat, and Krystal is actually flipping him the bird from time to time, and both of us are considering KILLING HIM.

Of course, the entire place is up on their feet, mobbing the stage, and screaming with adoration at Tommy's big debut on drums.

So the old adage that it doesn't necessarily take talent to have lots and lots of adoring fans was proven last night, and my ears are still ringing.

Next time this happens, we're going to just kill the guy, and accept the consequences.

(actually, we told our drummer - NO MORE GUEST DRUMMERS)

2. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

And the sad part is that "Tommy" now feels validated, and really believes he has talent.

3. mellowinman

Media:
    Albums:

He's a big, muscly, good-looking young guy, so he's going to really roll on that one, trust me.

4. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

You just made a whole lot of cute little kittens very sad, OP...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bluewine

bluewine Banned

I have seen clips of your band and I think you guys are good.

I'm curious and surprised that you guys allowed him to sit in with you?

Blue

7. kcole4001

kcole4001

Had a similar experience with a guy who's actually a great drummer.

HOWEVER!
    It turns out that his (EXTREMELY hot) wife just left him, and he's hammered.
    He was just loud and off time.
    And kept yapping something about how he'd like to **** my sister.
    And I don't have a sister. :eyebrow:

Sometimes you get broadsided by sit ins.

Never liked the concept myself at all.
    We practice as a band to pull off our sets, not let the audience come up and act like douches.

8. mellowinman

Media:
    Albums:
    It was one of those gigs where everybody in the whole place was everybody's buddy, and the drummer offered to let him. It came as a big surprise to me and Krystal. We have always had a "no sit-ins" rule, but it has been broken before. (often to very bad results, thus the rule)

It didn't damage our night; it didn't damage our reputation with the crowd, (in fact it helped that,) but what it did damage was our hearing.

Since we got Scott, we have played without the drum shield, because he has done a great job of playing to the room. I forgot just how LOUD drums can be!!!!!

AAAUUUUGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!

:bag:

9. bassfran

bassfran

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Lakland basses
    Glad it didn't tank your gig. Live and learn.

I once was amongst the victims of a 'singer' that drunkenly insisted she be allowed to sit-in with our blues band. The closest her repetoire came to authentic blues was "Johnny B. Goode", which she proceeded to butcher horribly. She missed every single cue, knew none of the words, and then of course, BLAMED US for not following her as she was booed off the stage.

The only people that should be allowed to sit-in are big-time, celebrity musicians, former band members, and known commodity friends that can actually play.

Hot tambourine ladies are the possible exception as everyone loves hot tambourine ladies. I do as well- as long as they are nowhere near my side of the stage.

10. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Funny because we had the same thing happen last night. The singer from another local band dropped in and I don't know how it happened but he sang 2 songs with us.

It wasn't that he was terrible or anything it just that he took forever to take a mic off a boom to get started.

To me it through off the cadence of the whole set.

I told our sound man after the gig that I was neither here nor there on "sit ins". Then I looked him right in the eye and said " that means I don't like it!".

I'll bring it up at rehearsal with the band. I've been with them a year, so I guess I can give my opinion.

Blue

11. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Supporting Member

If you're going to allow sit ins, especially those that are popular with the local crowd, then it's best to just have fun with it, even if he sucks. IMHO, flipping him the bird and otherwise being rude to him may actually cost you some fans.

12. bluewine

bluewine Banned

I agree, regarding being being a jerk to another local. However, I think the band should all be on the same page regarding "sit ins" even if it's something like a one song limit.

Blue

13. guy n. cognito

Agreed. I generally don't like sit ins (unless they are well known to the band), but there are time like this one where it's almost impossible to say no. Sometimes, you just have to grin and bear it, hi five the guy at the end of the song, and go about your business.

14. mellowinman

Media:
    Albums:
    Being yourself almost never actually costs you fans.

Strange, but somehow true.

Don't ask me to explain.

15. HeavyJazz77

HeavyJazz77 Supporting Member

16. Flyingfrets

Flyingfrets

We've allowed exactly 2 "sit ins" over the last 2 1/2 years, and we know both quite well.

Don't aim to offend anyone, but if we don't know you, it aint happening.

We're also fortunate that the venues we play are booked through an agency - for a lot of reasons...but in this instance, we can and do use that fact as an escape clause. "Sorry, not permitted by our contract" (total BS, but it has saved us and the intended "sit in" embarrassment on more than on occassion).

Because we are booked to entertain an audience, not make them witnesses to some drunken turd embarrassing themselves, we try to maintain a professional atmosphere. Consider it a public service...:D

17. guy n. cognito

We'd have to disagree on that point.

18. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Thing is, I think you should be asked to sit in.

I never go into a club and ask to sit in even I know the band, even if I was asked to sit in, I don't know if I would or not. It would depend on a lot of factors.

Blue

19. jaywa

jaywa

Sit-ins for my band must be vouched for by at least one of us in the band and preferably more. 3-song limit and if one person sits in thats usually it for the night. We're playing a show, not running an open mic.

20. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

Here's my theory about sit-ins:

If the sitting-in player isn't as good as the regular, then it will suck. The guest needs to be enough better than the regular he's replacing that the talent upgrade outweighs the continuity break & messing around to swap players mid set. But if the guest is better than the regular, when guest leaves & the regular comes back it will suck.

Note: Hot, drunk tambourine girls are not sit-ins, unless they're replacing an existing, regular band member who normally plays the tambourine.

I agree that being yourself almost never costs fans. It's about being genuine, & people can see if you are (or aren't).

Proper sit-in etiquette:

1. Only the performer(s) on stage can invite a guest to sit in, based on whatever criteria or qualifications they may have (i.e. friend, celebrity, etc.). Under no circumstances should a guest ever ask to sit in with an act.

2. If asked to sit in, a guest should thank their hosts and politely decline.

Open mic is a whole different ball game, where sit-ins are expected & encouraged.

21. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

To me a sit-in is just like someone from the stands wanting to join a team on the court they may be a great player but they won't know the rhythm of the team and chaos could occur.