Finale vs. Metropolitan

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Edvin, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Edvin

Edvin

Hey guys, i'm into getting a new CF bow.
    The main reason to buying a CF is that i don't have the optimal oppertunity to try out a lot of pernambucco's.
    Finale has got a lot of great reviews of people loving them.
    Metropolitan as well!
    This confuses me a bit, because the metropolitan is twice the price.
    Have someone did any A/B between the Finale and the Met'?
    "For the money, Finale is a better choice" isn't interesting at the moment, the only concern now is quality in playability and tone!
    I play German
  2. notabene

notabene

I can't make a comparison with the Metropolitan, but...The German Finale is beautifully balanced and easy to play. The sound (tone) is not as good as my Ary, but the ease of playing makes up for it in orchestral settings, at the moment.

Steven
  3. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

NB's hit it on the head:

The Finale is a beautifully balanced bow that does a remarkable job for $300+, but leaves you wanting in the sound department after a while.

The Metro (I've played both plus the Carbow) - I live in the High Sierras for a while) is more of a "real" bow - a more complex sound etc; but then you're looking at spending nearly what you would for a "real" good wood bow (or just a few hundred less)

I personally think the Glasser Braided Carbon Fiber bow is better than both and priced in the middle:

http://www.birdlandmusic.net/product.php?productid=5235&cat=8935

Louis

(PS: I don't get anything out of the above endorsement)
  4. Edvin

Edvin

Thanks for your answer!
    Do you personally find it more worth it to buy an unseen wood bow in the lower price range than spend barely $800
    on a bow that i could be sure have an even quality so i know i'll get a decent bow?
    As i told you, it's really hard for me to try out bows in the middle price range when i live where i live.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

That's such a tough question. I guess, given the climate etc, and the dependability issue, I suppose I would go with Metropolitan. But most bow dealers/makers (at least in the US) will let to take a bow out on trail for a week or so. Maybe look into that??
    Louis
  7. Edvin

Edvin

Ok, thanks for your answer!
    I've ordered a Metropolitan already though :)
  8. forrestjams

forrestjams Supporting Member

Edvin, what did you think of the Metropolitan?