1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Finally a Gecko!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WarThumb, Apr 19, 2008.

1. WarThumb

WarThumb

Yesterday I ordered my Gecko 6. Black Korina body, wenge neck with ebony fingerboard. The body will get tung oil finish, the neck nothing.
    It will get bartolinis and aguilar OBP-3 preamp, and get all black Gotoh/Hipshot hardware.
    The build time for my neck and body is 6-8 weeks. And I have sold my main bass.. :crying:
    I'll post progress pictures as soons as I start assemble it!
    :bassist: Can't wait to see the grain Warmoth can find for me..:hyper:
  2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings
    I'd put something on the neck to protect it - tung oil works great for that...
  3. Bass Viking

Bass Viking Gold Supporting Member

The neck doesn't need any finish due to the wenge and ebony. I'd lemon oil the fingerboard every once in a while though.

That's the exact same wood combo as my Warmoth. I hope you like your Gecko as much as I like my Warmoth.
  4. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings
    I should read more carefully....
  5. amkrisis

amkrisis

instant subscription!

i'm thinking of making a gecko myself...
  6. kris pung

kris pung

Even though you say you don't have too I still would do a tung oil finish to keep dirt out of the open grain of the wenge.
  7. 4StringTheorist

4StringTheorist

Subscribed here too. Same wood combo as my Warmoth jazz except for mine having a wenge fingerboard . I've had her for 8 years now, no finish on the neck and no problems. I do rub some lemon oil in once or twice a year as the Viking mentioned.

Great great combination! I'd love to see the pictures. My Warmoth has me so happy that I need no other fretted bass. The only thing I itch for now is a fretless.. which has me looking at those geckos. :)
  8. amkrisis

amkrisis

is it in yet? :p
  9. Bass Viking

Bass Viking Gold Supporting Member

Same here, but that hasn't stopped my GAS.:D
  10. WarThumb

WarThumb

Pickups, hardware and preamp are in the Norwegian customs at the moment. Got a mail monday from warmoth saying my body and neck is finished and will be shipped soon. Has not been shipped yet though.. The wait...
  11. WarThumb

WarThumb

The body parts came today! They were shipped from Warmoth friday afternoon, and delivered at my door today! I expected at least a week of waiting! :hyper: And not one single scratch in the boxes. Good work UPS!
    The parts look great! The brown streaking in the ebony is just gorgous! Cant wait to get som finish on the body, but I have 3 more exams before summer.
    The neck pocket is tight, and fits perfectly. I'll borrow a better camera for progress pictures, the parts are soo much better lookin' in real life.. :bassist:

Pictures:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. CanadaMan

CanadaMan

Wow, that looks fantastic. Can't wait to see it finished, I want sound clips when you're done!
  13. amkrisis

amkrisis

Looks amazing!

Have you ever made/finished a bass before?

I'm a bit in doubt, i don't know if i'm cut out for the job...
  14. WarThumb

WarThumb

I have only defretted one of my basses, and refinihed it. But I was 16 and sloppy at the time so I guess this will be my first time :smug:

Slightly wet, just to get the idea:

[​IMG]
  15. Mon Rominee

Mon Rominee

Wow. Very nice....and here you were, rolling your eyes that Warmoth would send you less than stellar woodgrain....:meh:

Enjoy it, I can't wait to see it finished.
  16. WarThumb

WarThumb

Wrong smily there.. Edited ;)
  17. SurrenderMonkey

SurrenderMonkey

Close to my custom bass spec. Wenge/bubinga neck, mac ebony fb, Black limba body (aka korina), but sandwiched between walnut top and back. Should make for a tasty combination.
  18. ROON

ROON

Hey that is gonna be one sweet Gecko! Could we get some pics of the end of the neck?
    I'd like to see what those re-enforcing rod thingo's look like.
  19. 4StringTheorist

4StringTheorist

20. Matt Fat Cat

Matt Fat Cat

Tung is ok, if you sweat alot, like me... the wood will discolor alot. Tung oil is highly permeable. :cool: