Finally (almost) done modding my Wishbass!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TDSLaBassiste, Dec 14, 2012.

1. TDSLaBassiste

TDSLaBassiste Supporting Member

http://imgur.com/a/KKCPS

Took a while but I finally got this thing pretty close to perfect. I'm getting a new Italia strap soon, then I just need to replace the pickup and this sexy lady is done. This bass is my pride and joy, I've put so much work into it on top of the two weeks it spent at a guitar tech's shop getting work done. Many thanks to Borgy at Sam Ash in Sarasota for the work he did (quite a bit of it for free, might I add!).
  2. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

That looks really cool what do they sound like?
  3. 49sfine

49sfine Supporting Member

4. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    Nice looking Wishbass. I love that body shape.

That shape was partial inspiration for a custom Wishbass I had made a few years ago.
    [​IMG]
    Doing the work on these basses is almost as much fun as playing them. It showed up at my house looking like this (I ordered it this way so I could do the rest of the work.):
    [​IMG]
    Be sure to head over to the Wishbass club thread and say hello.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. TDSLaBassiste

Absolutely amazing! I plan to replace the pickup with a Basslines soon, but still sounds great even with the low-end Kent Armstrong that comes stock.

See how I handled that situation of covering the pickup? Haha I think the pickup cover looks better.
  7. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix Supporting Member

Did putting a Metal Bridge on yours change the sound much? I live in Florida too, I don't have a truss rod in mine, and I wonder about having to adjust the intonation at some point. I also don't want to change how mine sounds too much.
    I am in the planning stages about what I want to do to mine.
    I think my Wishbass is #1392!
  8. TDSLaBassiste

1392?! Talk about coincidence haha

The bridge added a bit of stability to intonation, but I definitely depends on the bridge when it comes to tone. I feel like the fender style bridge mellowed it out A LOT but the Badass sounds a lot like the original corian bridge, I think. It's been so long since I played with the corian so I can't exactly remember and I may be very wrong :p

But due to intonation issues, I highly recommend adding an adjustable bridge and then use your EQ to readjust tone. Also, I would definitely suggest adding a tone knob to any wishbass, it goes against Steve's philosophy of having as little metal as possible in the bass but that tone knob will make your bass a million times more versatile. I use a 500k stacked pot from Warmoth with a .1 capacitor from radio shack.
  9. Moe Monsarrat

Moe Monsarrat Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist:Regenerate Guitar Works Carvin, Micheal Kelly Guitars
    I have a Hipshot on mine. Also added a neck pup. It's a passive EMG soapbar from a Spector Legend 5 I upgraded. It provides a real bulldozer bottom end.