1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Finally!! Ashdown Steps Up with some Small Tubers!! Yes

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Jawbone, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Jawbone

Jawbone

'bout time someone finally figures it out and comes out with some smaller tube amps. Ashdown is the first I've heard of to launch a couple of small wattage tube amps at NAMM. I'm really having a hard time accepting the Class D light weight amp trend thingy - they all seem a bit to hi-fi (even with proper EQing) for my blues taste.

Can't wait to here some clips.
  2. Marty Forrer

Marty Forrer

Hmm, my Streamliner600 has more blues than any tube amp I've ever owned, except mebbe my old Mesa 400, and it's way ahead of my Ashdown Lil Bastard.
  3. Jawbone

Jawbone

4. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

So?
    Fender has had the 100T out for over a year.
    Auto bias so you can swap tubes without having to bring it in,tube "heat" settings and you can use the 100T without a cab to record with too.
  5. Jawbone

Jawbone

The Fender Bassman serise T100 and 300 are great amps. However, if I was going to spend 1,200 for the T100 I'd probably just get the 300 for 200 more buck-o-roos. Then at that point I'd probably shop around for a used Ampeg SVT-VR.

I think Ashdown's trying to put amps out there right in the middle of the whole Class D crazy: lightweight, relatively inexpensive and all tube.
  6. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

How much do you think the Ashdown is going to charge for their amp?
    The Little Bastard is $839. I don't think they will hit the 100T's $1200 price here in the US.

It really depends on the sound you want. I don't want a 300 watt head. I want the over driven tube sound without blowing the windows out. If you want clean power there are plenty of hybrid amps that can do that and weigh less then 10 pounds. You would be surprised at how loud a 100T can get on the OD channel and a good cab.
    The Ashdown will be a big hit in Europe where the Fender and Ampeg cost a lot more.
  7. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

Can I just say thatboth of these amps have got me drooling. The worrying thought is that I could easily see uses for them both! :p I've heard the CTM300 in action and it remains, without any shadow of doubt, the finest sounding bass head I've heard. If these can get anywhere close at a lower volume, weight and price point then Ashdown have a winner on their hands.

You've got to applaud Ashdown for doing something different and giving us bass players real choice in the marketplace.
  8. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

You realize that article is a year old and the little bastard has already been released right?

Edit - the article is dated 2012 but states 2013 release. Either way, they already have some low wattage amps out there for bass. These seem more like they're trying to catch up with the vox nigthtrain, jet city, blackheart, egnater, etc, etc, etc, cheap tube guitar amp trend.
  9. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

They released the LB30 and Drophead 30 a couple years back. They cover the low wattage tube amp range, really want a Drophead 30, though they are quite pricey.

Will be interesting to see what the new amps are like.
  10. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBass - PlayBass! Supporting Member

Yep, I can't believe the OP thought this was news! :D
  11. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

The article details two brand new amps - the 100W and the 15W. Both are from the CTM series and are different to the LB30 and Drophead in more than just power output - they are completely different preamps.

They're not going after the Nighttrain or any of the other lunchbox guitar amps - because they're guitar amps! Noone else (to my knowledge) is making a 15W lunchbox all-valve bass amp and I for one will give it a warm welcome to the marketplace.
  12. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBass - PlayBass! Supporting Member

Point is, the OP stated this:

New amp models, perhaps, but not a new thing for Ashdown, they already have low power tube amps on the market.
  13. astack

astack Supporting Member

Don't forget the V4B reissue and Mesa's decade long development of I've-forgotten-already.

It is cool that there's a solid variety in the 100W tube amp arena.
  14. MarkusBass

MarkusBass Markus Orange loves you. Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Graphic Designer: Lakland, Hanson Guitars, and Wilkins Guitars
    Damn...Just bought a Little Bastard...which I love, but it's still way loud for my living room:-/ I would have bought the 15 watter!
  15. Bearded Wizard

Bearded Wizard

I'd love to take a crack at the 15 watter.
  16. DerekP

DerekP

+1 I love my LB30 but I would have went with the 15 watter too!
  17. redhed

redhed TUBE LOVER! Gold Supporting Member

Why reply with this?
  18. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

+1 On that everyone isn't up to date on all the latest gear out there it's news to me also thank you OP I'm interested in the CTM-15 .
  19. Bearded Wizard

Bearded Wizard

I can't believe people are nitpicking because they put the wrong year on the story... this IS news, and don't tell me you haven't accidentally written 2012 instead of 2013 in the new year. Story was posted yesterday. Why can't we just focus on these cool *new* additions to the market for us and our low end brethren who like to rock some tubage?
  20. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass Supporting Member

In your opinion, would you say the CTM300 sounds as good (or perhaps even better) than a vintage Ampeg SVT?

I have never heard a CTM300, so I'm just curious.