FINALLY reasonably priced full range plate amps.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by 3506string, Dec 2, 2013.

1. 3506string

3506string

The thought of building my own powered has always intrigued me, but one glance at the price of the very few full range plate amps compared to one of the many offerings of class D power amps would send me in the other direction.

SO.. I was on the fleabay this morning and decided to do another search and came up with a company named park audio. They've got a couple full range plate amps.

This one particularly caught my eye. Park Audio DX700-8

Class D SMPS
    Mono block
    700 W @ 8 ohms at .05 THD
    XLR input and through
    Adjustable 24db HPF from 28-250hz
    8lbs
    $420 USD

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I would be interested to see how it actually tests on the bench...

3. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

:)

Regards
    Sam

4. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    Granted, I'm a cheap SOB and a bit "behind the times", but I don't see the added cost of a plate amp being outweighed by the convenience of not needing to carry a seperate power amp.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies Supporting Member

I get it for PA monitors and such (its nice to run a send from the board and just keep adding powered monitors with no concern for the number or the impedance), but for a bass rig, I don't see the need.

7. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Always interested to see what's out there, thanks. What do you like better about it than this one and the other Hypex options?

8. Mark Nye

Mark Nye

+1.

You still need to carry a preamp. With the size and weight of the modern class D heads, I don't see a powered cab + preamp being any more convenient than an non-powered cab + small head.

IIRC, there was a company called Forge a few years back that tried to market powered bass cabs with separate preamps, based on the same idea. Never caught on.

It's a neat idea in theory, but I think with the state of bass amps today, it makes more sense for PA.

9. BurningSkies

The Berg IP series comes to mind...no longer produced. The benefits are the fact that you can get the precise unit to work with your cab, and in the Bergantino case also include specific DSP for it. I think that most players generally don't mind carrying an amp if they're also taking a preamp with them.

10. MuthaFunk

MuthaFunk

11. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Even with the unit MuthaFunk posted, I don't see the economic sense of spending $275 per monitor when a used power amp would cost about half as much per mix.

Any impedence matching convenience would be somewhat offset by needing to run AC cabling to each cabinet.

12. BurningSkies

True. :) That's why I like it when I show up and someone else has brought the powered monitors. :D

13. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    I've only once had the pleasure of working with powered monitors.
    The spagehetti mess of AC cables proved hazardous when a certain grumpy old bass player got his feet tangled in them while trying to smack an idiot sound operator upside the head. :eek:

14. Passinwind

Media:
    Albums:
    Were you trying to chew gum too during the self-flagellation? ;)

For me, an extra 8 pounds would negate the dearly paid for weight advantages of the cabs I like, or just flat out put some of my current DIY cabs into too heavy to carry territory.

15. bevan lurrito

bevan lurrito

To me there are a couple interesting points to consider with active monitors.

First off, most of us are using two preamps. One onboard, and one racked or in our heads. Any electrical component will impart its sonic signature in the form of harmonic distortion. Adding the distortion of one device (the preamp in the bass) to the distortion of another (the preamp in the rig) does bad things to the signal to noise ratio. It may or may not bother you that this is so, but there it is. If you plug your bass directly to an active monitor, you still have the preamp in your bass. It might not give you all the knobs you are accustomed to, but it is a preamp.

The best tone I can ever hear from my bass is the sound I hear when I grit my teeth, place my chin firmly on the upper horn, and play unplugged. It sounds strange, but it couples my skull and inner ear directly to the instrument. There is a lot more bass there than most of us realize, and more "air" too. I am one of the loony people that buys into the Anthony Jackson school of tone. Get the crap out of the signal chain, play with decent technique, and good tone is inevitable. So a simple onboard preamp direct to a hi-fi style monitor is one way to do this.

Another idea that will, I am sure, be more appealing to people is using a plate amp to power an active subwoofer. You could have a compact rig, a combo, whatever, and use it for your practicing and smaller gigs. When you needed more grunt than the smaller rig can deliver, bring the active subwoofer. Pretty simple. Plug the sub into the line out, adjust the level, and trim the bass out of the combo. The combo sounds largely the same because the mid voicing is unchanged, it just does not need to work as hard because the sub is taking over LF duty.

Thanks to the OP for posting this.

Cheers!

SS

16. BurningSkies

That would be assuming that the plate amp has the input sensitivity to be driven effectively by a bass' on board preamp. Most if not all power amps do not have this level of sensitivity, and thus need another gain stage in between.

17. Passinwind

Media:
    Albums:
    That depends on gain staging and many other factors. ;)