1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

FINALLY, some gigs!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by bassfran, Feb 8, 2013.

1. bassfran

bassfran

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Lakland basses
    I got a call a few weeks ago from one of the BL's that I work with and was informed that he'd landed a regular twice a month gig.

Was I interested? You bet yer' sweet bippy I was!

This particular outfit is a blues-wreck power triumvirate and the shows are typically fun. As most of you know there's no hiding onstage in a trio- you either throw down or you go down. I enjoy the challenge and both the guitarist and drummer are strong players that keep me on my toes most of the time.

The only info I have is the $, it's 3 sets, and that it's a smoking bar. ("Hello- 2013 called and wants to know if you got the surgeon general's memos".)

So I packed my only true fan and am ready for a long Saturday night. Wish me luck.

:hyper:
  2. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

Congrats wear a surgical mask onstage and that can become part of your costume.
  3. jaywa

jaywa

Way to go. Getting the first gig is often the hardest. And to have guaranteed repeat gigs is sweeter still.

Smoking bar? Drink LOTS of water. Before, during and after you play. Secondhand smoke dries you out like you wouldn't believe. And spend as little time actually in the bar as possible. When I used to play smoking bars I was the first one out the door every break and the last one back in before we went on. Even when it was blazing hot or bitter cold outside. The more garbage you can get of your lungs on breaks and fresh air pumped in, the better.

Congrats again, and have fun!
  4. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME! Supporting Member

Awesome, break a leg!

My band has managed to get a couple low-paying gigs. We made $100 (10% of the bar on a Tuesday) putting together a show last month. We only played a 45 minute set.
    The mayor of the city I live in popped in near the end and talked to our bandleader. He did a little acoustic demo for him because he missed our set. The mayor dug it, and booked us to play a 2 hour set for $300 this coming May. We're also putting together another gig at that same venue, with better promotion this time around.
  5. the yeti

the yeti

heck yeah! luck!
  6. bassfran

bassfran

Disclosures:
    Thanks, folks- I'll post an update after the smoke clears.
  7. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

Knock it out and at the end yell "Talk Bass Rules" and see how the drunks respond :)
  8. bassfran

bassfran

Disclosures:
    Ok- *cough, cough*, here's my story.

It was a D-E-A-D night but thankfully, (according to the nice lady behind the bar), not at all our fault. She had corroborating spies all over town. Sorta' one of those nobody paying attention, "Hey, how about some Zeppelin we've never rehearsed before?" kind of nights.

Decidedly ragged but still a good workout. Twice a month for the indefinite future because well, I like to eat and stuff.

I got in at 4:30am, dropped the gear, did not pass 'go', and immediately hit the shower.

The fan was useless and my throat feels like I gargled a bowl of rusty razor blades.

But be that as it may I would always rather be working. :bassist:
  9. jaywa

jaywa

LOL I know EXACTLY the kind of night youre talking about. Nights when youre glad youre playing for a guarantee and not the door.
  10. MarkMgibson

MarkMgibson

I wish we still had "smoking bars" in Australia. I'd get more gigs with better attendance. Anti-smoking laws have hurt the live music industry - every club manager I know agrees, whether they hate smoking or not.

Well now that I've finished that spiel, best of luck on your upcoming gigs. There's nothing worse that sitting at home watching some crap movie, wishing you were on stage with the sound of the bass drum smacking you in the chest, a power chord ripping through your ear-drums. It's like withdrawal for me.
  11. SnowCal

SnowCal

I hated smoking bars, but the first thing I noticed when my city passed its smoking ban was that all that awful smoke was burying some truly offensive body odor.
  12. bluewine

bluewine

New gigs are always sweet.

I'm lucky WI is a smoke free State.

Blue
  13. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

my gig saturday night even the smoke couldnt cover some of it.
  14. bassfran

bassfran

Disclosures:
    Thanks for chiming in, guys.

I didn't realize the smoking issue would become the crux of my little thread, but that's cool. It's good that we're talking.

I have smoked cigs in the past and have no big problem with them either way. I was just surprised that this place didn't have a smoke eater installed as the air quality's pretty bad. Our singer/guitarist said that he's played there before and it's been difficult for him to sing a full night because of it.
  15. jaywa

jaywa

I 'm pretty sure I would have quit playing out by now if my state hadn't enacted a smoking ban two years ago. Same deal with my lead guitarist.

It was to the point I'd play back to back weekend shows (4 hours each) at the smokiest venue in town and be absolutely worthless for the whole day on Sunday. My family deserved better than that.

I know this has the potential to get political real quick but in my case, a smoking ban probably saved my gigging career. My body was at the breaking point.
  16. bassfran

bassfran

Disclosures:
    I hear you, Jay- Sometimes the price you pay just ain't worth it. Glad you were able to keep at it.
  17. jmac

jmac

Ha, when I first read that sentence I thought you were talking about your tuning. I thought, "what does the lady behind the bar have to do with your tuning?" The next sentence cleared it up, but for a second (or a minute) I was confused.
  18. bassfran

bassfran

Disclosures:
    Ha! I should've said "Capital D-E-A-D", of course.

Maybe in a black metal band...
  19. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Congrats on the gig. I always laugh about the complaining about smoking. I started playing in the late 60's before there was such thing as a non-smoking bar. Somehow we managed to survive playing 6 nights a week, some bars with 6 sets on Friday and Saturday nights.
  20. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

Congratulations on the Gig's. "Break a leg" as they say
    "I second hand smoke 2 packs a day" Jerry Seinfeld.