1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Finally, some good news for my band...all it took was fresh blood.

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Treadstone71, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Treadstone71

Treadstone71

I've played in a surf rock band for two years now. The band is composed of friends of mine, and I was a long-time fan. In the last couple years they were forced to fire the bass player due to attendance issues, and the drummer grew disenchanted with the originals, plus he took a job several cities away so it was only a matter of time before he quit. I joined just in time to play his last show.

We've been without a drummer for almost a year. We've played one charity show with a guest drummer, but we knew it would be an uphill battle. The thing is, we're not full-time players...we all have day jobs, and play because we really like to play. We knew if we found someone we preferred it be was a friend-of-a-friend (easier that way), that person would have to be a casual player comfortable with casual players, and willing to play surf/punk originals for free. Most importantly they'd have to match our messed up sense of humour.

Long(ish) story short, we finally found someone who likes our songs, likes us, and wants to join. We've been easing her into the role, and she fits perfectly. The best part, she comes from an urban background, so while she's learning our drumlines, her beats come from a new place that we all dig. Last night we asked her to play something she feels the vibe of, and she came out of left field with this awesome blues/hip hop-inspired drum beat, and after five minutes we created a new smooth groove instrumental from the jam we decided to call "low tide".

Our first new original since I joined.

I can't wait until this comes together and we're back in the scene. This new lineup is rocking my brain and I'm quite certain we all feel the same.

Sorry for the rambling story...just really excited to see how this evolves. I think we finally have the lineup and energy they were hoping for when they created the band. :)

2. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

I guess you can only play "Wipe Out" and "Surfer Girl" so many times before anyone calls it quits. Just sayin.. Glad your band is up and running.

3. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Congrats I would love to hear the new song it's always nice to have a breath of fresh air.

4. casper_morgan

casper_morgan

love it when things come together like that

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Treadstone71

Treadstone71

Thanks everyone, much appreciated.

BTW DBase, we did play Wipeout during the encores, primarily because the former drummer loved doing it. That was his moment to shine and we weren't about to take it from him. :)

7. cableguy

cableguy Supporting Member

New drum grooves from a different perspective always get the creative juices flowing. Good luck.....

8. Gundecker

Gundecker

That's awesome! I get your excitement through your writing.
    Now if the neighbor kid would learn a new drumbeat.... sigh

Boom tah boom boom tah, insert clumsy down roll, reapeat 600x

9. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I agree about the fresh blood thing. That's why we try to kill one innocent before every show, and drink up.

Definitely keeps you young.

10. Treadstone71

Treadstone71

And it's delicious!

11. Slough Feg Bass

Slough Feg Bass

Horray!
    I love surf music!
    More Dick Dale, for sure. And not the standards, dig a little deeper please.

12. Treadstone71

Treadstone71

We do Slough, I wish I could add more of our original songs to SoundCloud, but by command of our BL, we won't until there's more (proper) recordings of the current lineup.

13. HockeyDawg

HockeyDawg

Very cool, I love mixing different genre players in bands. I joined a hard rock band where the drummer was a female soul/r&b drummer and I loved it. Congratulations on your new rhythm section half.

14. sharkbait130

sharkbait130

I cut my teeth on surf stuff and learned to play guitar by copying the licks of the Ventures , the Chantays , the Sufaries , Link Wray and of course Dick Dale. Wish the bands I play in now would play some of that stuff. A surf drummer with some funk? Oh hell yeah.

15. LosFer Words

LosFer Words

It's cool to see the surf fans here on TB!

That is a cool story Treadstone71. I just joined a surf/rock band here in Cincinnati last year and it has been fun working on originals with them, the excitement and energy that comes with a new lineup is great.

I would love to hear your songs!

16. Treadstone71

Treadstone71

Thanks LosFer!

Here are the two songs we have on SoundCloud. They're a small sampling of our originals. To be honest, we have many more songs that are more classically "surfy", but these are still fun.

https://soundcloud.com/the-swinging-pussycats

17. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom Supporting Member

I really enjoy stories of inspiration!!! Enjoy!!

18. Ironbar

Ironbar

Are you kidding? That's a great story! We need more stories like this! Glad things are working out for you & the band! :hyper:

19. Stewie26

Stewie26 Gold Supporting Member

I hear a little Pretenders in your second track, "Geta Walk"
    I also like Surf Music. Here is an original surf tune I did a few years back if anyone is interested. It's a little more modern than the Dick Dale sound.
    http://www.jamendo.com/en/list/a48389/locals-only-no-kooks?autoplay=1

20. LosFer Words

LosFer Words

Nice songs Treadstone71, here's to you guys setting Toronto on fire with some killer surf rock!

21. rust_preacher

rust_preacher Supporting Member

My all-time favorite surf band is Laika and the Cosmonauts.