Finally Some Rain in California

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bassestkkm, Feb 28, 2014.

1. bassestkkm

bassestkkm

:hyper: Title says it all. Brings out the worst drivers and helps us out a bit because we are really low in the water category. Anyone else happy about it?
  2. elgecko

elgecko

My lawn. :meh:
  3. ChloroPhil315

ChloroPhil315

I work with a program called EarthView at Bridgewater State University and we were using the situation in California as a way to lead into a discussion about climate and region . Glad to see you finally got some rain!
  4. bassestkkm

bassestkkm

Hahaha Sorry man. Its probably gone swamped. We had to redo our spinklers years ago and we added in drains at the edge so the water would run off.
  5. bassestkkm

bassestkkm

Thanks CP! Its a pretty good area to talk about except when its being temper mental like the last could years
  6. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

We get to keep our snowpack instead of sending it to LA. Yay!
  7. Stewie26

Stewie26 Gold Supporting Member

8. slobake

slobake Supporting Member

Raining in Northern California too. Heck ya I'm happy about it. We need it. :hyper:
  9. pedroims

pedroims Supporting Member

Snowing here... I am praying so we can be at least 30 degrees
  10. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

Looking forward to another foot of snow on Monday here in ny.

Yay.

It's a brisk 9 degrees outside right now.
  11. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

same here, high tomorrow 4 degrees F, sunday 1 F, maybe get to 20 or so by end of next week, we can only hope.
  12. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

I have only lived in Cali 3 months now, I am from Oregon and it was a reminder of home today. It amazes me that its actually a skill to be able to drive in the rain to Californians. There is no skill to it, just dont floor it from a dead stop, take corners a little slower, drive the speed limit, but I could see how this would be difficult for a Californian:p.

Here is my car at about 1:45 pm today,

[​IMG]
  13. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

Yeah - the rain is nice, but my dogs are not too happy about it. I have to run out with them one at a time with a big umbrella when it stops for a minute.

The problem is that the hard rain like this won't soak in - the ground is too dry, so most of it runs off and down the drains. We need it to be 1/3 this hard for a week.

We also need developers to put in water reclaim systems in new buildings, where the water from the roofs and parking lots that cover most of the land here goes into a deep cistern, so it can filter back into the groundwater.

We can also hope that because of this reduced drainage, we don't have another super flood like in 1934, when LA got 32" of rain in 3 days!!
  14. FilterFunk

FilterFunk

I'm happy, too (I'm in Sacramento). It's a good, all-day soaking rain. This kind of rain used to be commonplace 'round these parts.
  15. SasquatchDude

SasquatchDude

Yeah... practically got soaked to my undies during my 5 min walk between classes at UCSD today.
  16. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

17. bassestkkm

bassestkkm

Yeah here in Riverside it hasn't rained like this in 3 or 4 years. Definitely agree that its too dry. Its too hot too. I always look forward to it being in the 40s or less during winter. We haven't had any of that. I haven't not worn shorts all "winter" so far.
  18. bassestkkm

bassestkkm

Hahaha I know what you mean. I got soaked the same way on my way our of the house headed for class at UCR
  19. SnowCal

SnowCal

Rain makes riding my bicycle to work not quite as much fun. Really, not any fun. Oh well. Nothing makes me blend in with my bass better than a skunkstripe up my back.
  20. dieselbass

dieselbass

No water in the ditches yet, but another storm or two should fix that. Nice crop of weeds and skeeters on the way. Lakes are finally rising too.