1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

find myself liking a "cheap" bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lee H, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Lee H

Lee H

I recently pickup a used Peavy Millennium at the Roseville/Sacramento flea mart. it was $80, so I figured I was not losing much if I didn't like it ..

Now I am really wondering why squires get the love on here, instead of peavy. This Millennium is light and plays very well. I have it hanging next to a MIM fender jazz, and at the risk of pissing off the fender fans, the peavy is a nicer playing bass. It may just be me, but I also think it has more power/volume then the fender (both are passive).

My cheap impulse buy has become something I am enjoying, and would take to a gig, and I haven't even changed the strings, yet.
    Why is peavy so often overlooked?
  2. shawshank72

shawshank72 Supporting Member

Just be thankfull that people like us can take advantage of this.
    Peavey is so underated, yes they have clunkers but an american made peavey i will choose over a squier anytime.
  3. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

I think if more Guitar Centers would carry them they would be more popular and give Fender a run for their money I love Peavey their value to cost ratio has always been through the roof.
  4. KPJ

KPJ

Squiers get the love because they look just like Fenders. Same reason SX gets the love and a lot of people got bummed when they changed the headstock.
  5. GM60466

GM60466

Play what you like and like what you play.
  6. RED J

RED J Half Hip, Half Hick Supporting Member

Peavey has always made good basses, USA or Asian. Lots of people have gotten over the stigma. Like me (not that I ever had it ) I have 5 Peaveys. They are as good as any I have owned, and, yes, I have owned the "popular" brands.
  7. SquierJazz72

SquierJazz72

I almost ended up with a Peavey bass a while back, but it sold before I got back to it.

MY first band was rhythm guitar powered by me on a Japanese strat clone and a Peavey amp. I liked that combination well enough, and had no complaints.
  8. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

An advantage Squier has is the availability of replacement parts. Fender type necks, pickups and hardware usually bolts right on, or there are Squier specific upgrades available (such as J sets with the correct mount screw spacing). Peaveys lack the Fender recognition, and do not have bolt on upgrades as available (for the most part depending on the model). I like Peavey as well and would go with a US made instrument more often given the choice, but I'm a tinkerer so Squier gets my attention.
  9. nolezmaj

nolezmaj

Because Fender invests a lot of money in brand marketing, making it (and also Squier - a sub-brand) very desirable.
    I believe they get that money back with higher prices, so if you want best quality/price ratio and dont care about trends, look elsewhere - i.e. Peavey ;-)
  10. Cirk

Cirk

So the long story short here is that you found a bargain on a bass that performs well for you... Great job!
  11. pklima

pklima

I have one, it really is a decent bass. The pickguard and jackplate screws are cheap-looking metal, and the pickup screws aren't great either, but those are really the worst things about that bass's quality.

I did turn it into a luxury brand bass, though, by gluing fabric and tags from a Burberry jacket to the body and headstock.
  12. thesearchbass98

thesearchbass98

I love my Peavey millennium I've had friends with much more expensive basses that where blown away with it. I think that as long as you enjoy the bass it doesn't matter if it costs 100 dollars or 1000 dollars.
  13. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

They're nice basses for sure - I almost went for a super gorgeous AC BXP5 in black-violet I saw at a music store, but it would have made my Ibby SR's jealous. :p :D
  14. edpal

edpal This one, she's not just another pretty face. Gold Supporting Member

In answer to OP - PEavy has made good ones and bad ones. I have played some I thought were just great. Good catch - $80 is less than some folks spend on a set of string or a cable. Now you need an expensive looking case for it :)
  15. agent77

agent77 Tin Foil Hat Wearer Supporting Member

I've come very close to buying a few Peaveys, a Fury and a Millennium, but I was short on cash at the time. If Peavey made a medium scale I'd be all over it. When I decide to pull the trigger on a 5 sting I'll probably get a Millennium AC BXP.
  16. highway

highway

i love getting my hands on anything inexpensive . . . only sold my fury, because it made me $30
  17. dkelley

dkelley

this 100%

my strings costs $35 for a pack typically, and cables/straps are ludicrously pricey.

Buy an amazing case and nobody will be the wiser.
  18. NicJimBass

NicJimBass The Kirk Hammett of bass guitar! Supporting Member

I've owned a bunch of expensive basses over the years, like Lakland Skyline, a few Ernie Balls, and eventually I whittled them all down to a StingRay 5. Simply based on color alone (gold sparkle... had the itch for a sparkle) I picked up a used US-made Millennium, and from then on, I've been a Peavey fanatic. I still own the SR5, but it stays in the case, while I regularly gig my 3 Peaveys- 2 GV's and a Fury P. I couldn't be happier, and I have maybe $1k invested in all 3 basses. Peavey makes some phenomenal stuff, but I think people have a negative attitude toward them based on the low price. I haven't played a Peavey (including an import Fury V I noodled on the other day) that I didn't like. They fly under the radar, and I for one am thankful because it leads to mega-deals.
  19. kcole4001

kcole4001

I have an Indonesian made Millennium BXP5 and it's a better bass than my Indonesian made Squier VM Jazz.
    Better fret work, mainly, though I find the tuners kinda cheapish.
    An easy fix.

And a useable bass for $80 that sounds good is a bargain.
    I've gigged mine many times.

Peavey just doesn't have the cache that more mainstream brands have.
    They're better known for amps and PA gear, but do/did make quite good instruments, for the most part.
  20. JustForSport

JustForSport

KPJ ---

Squiers get the love because they look just like Fenders. Same reason SX gets the love and a lot of people got bummed when they changed the headstock.

Ha, Ha, Ha- F-word or Quality,
    That's the perspective...