Finding a good bass teacher

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Llaslo, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Llaslo

Llaslo

How do y'all normally go about finding a good bass teacher? I've been checking craigslist and i've called a couple of music lesson places, but it all seems to be guitarists who also teach bass.

2. sharpbass

sharpbass Supporting Member

You can search here on TB.

3. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

A dedicated bass teacher in most music stores is extremely rare.
    My buddy tried that route and couldn't find a dedicated bass teacher in
    5 stores that he called. Do what sharpbass says.
    I tried teaching bass but could not find any bass students.
    Now I teach guitar.

4. Marty Forrer

Marty Forrer

Quite a few gigging bassists teach, so one avenue is to approach a bassist at a gig who you think is a good player and ask if they teach. If they dont, they may know of someone who does.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. dalkowski

dalkowski

^^^ This. And when you find potential teachers, try to have some more specific goals beyond "I want to learn bass." Are there songs you want to learn? Are you trying to get into a band? etc. This will help you weed out teachers AND give the one you choose something to built lessons on.

Good luck. I had an awesome teacher a few years back and it was sheer luck that I even met him.

7. 73maverick

73maverick

After 14 years of marriage to a professional musician, I can attest to the fact that they don't bite. If you're close to a college or university with a music program, there may be upperclass/grad students who give private lessons. My DH learned flute from a local student -- she's since gone on to far bigger and better things, but she gave him a great foundation.

I was lucky -- I found a great instructor at my local Guitar Center, though I know YMMV with that. I found my other teacher while playing around in the used gear. He taught me a few licks and gave me his contact info for lessons. Turns out he's a gigging funk bassist who knows theory cold and has the patience of Job.

Craigslist is worth watching ... aside of that, my best advice is to go to places where musicians hang out. If you like someone's playing, tell him or her. That alone should be enough to open doors. Best wishes.

8. Staredge

Staredge

9. SJan3

SJan3

How does this aid your selection process? Rather, the student should seek a teacher well versed in the fundamentals of the instrument so that the student may apply the lessons learned to whatever application he/she chooses. Learn the instrument not just songs.

10. oniman7

oniman7

I went to 5 different stores looking to teach and none would hire me. I teach mostly guitar. I only teach one bass student and that's at my house instead of the studio

11. Bass Mentor

Bass Mentor

Disclosures:
    endorsing artist: Lava Cable, E&O Mari, Rupert Neve Designs
    I am a pro bass player with a ton of credits--- www.stevebryantbassguitar.com

Who teaches privately in my home studio or worldwide via skype www.bassmentoring.com

I teach chordal playing and theory to pro and semi-pro bassist that prepares them for being a working player....I also teach dedicated adult beginners and intermediate who are ready and willing to do the work... I teach from my home studio and worldwide via Skype with Neve pres and an HD wide angle camera.. just did a session last week with a student in New South Wales, Aus.
    The feed back I've gotten over the years from students is they found more useful instruction taking privately in working musician's studio/home and learning good music content along with the physical elements of playing.. It's well worth your time to research good teachers --- good luck!
    Best!

Steve

12. Mushroo

Mushroo

I couldn't disagree with this statement more; the musicians I know who "learned the instrument" are playing in their bedrooms, while lesser musicians who "learned the songs" are getting gigs and making people smile. :)

Studying with a teacher who isn't familiar with your style (trying to learn metal from a jazz player for example) is a sure fire way to shoot yourself in the foot and kill your enthusiasm. (Q: "Hey teacher, how do I learn the Steve Harris 'gallop' technique?" A: "Transcribe these Charlie Parker solos!") Not to mention that a teacher who actively gigs in your genre of choice can give you excellent non-musical advice to achieve your goals (gear, strings/setup, networking, connections, venues, bands/albums to check out, lifestyle, etc.).

13. SJan3

SJan3

Sounds like you want him to chew your gum for you too..
    Disagree all you want. All of the best players I work with can switch gears from rock to jazz to country to r&b to whatever. They know their instrument.

14. N.F.A.

N.F.A. Supporting Member

Check on TB for suggestions.
    Go to a bass shop and ask.

15. Llaslo

Llaslo

Thanks all for the advice. There is a music studio not far from my house, and i have a lesson with a bass instructor there tomorrow. We'll see how it goes. We did talk quite a bit on the phone about my goals, styles of music I like, etc.

16. Lo-E

Lo-E

Good luck with your lesson tomorrow, Llaslo!

If you find later that the teacher isn't to your liking, Marty Forrer is right on the money:
    This is how I've found all of my teachers.