finding a new lover

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jimmynotch, Jan 24, 2014.

1. jimmynotch

jimmynotch

Perhaps a bit long winded.... but here goes.

I have been playing the same Peavey Dynabass Unity Series for 23 years. It has toured across the country multiple times, been broken and repaired and stolen and recovered. I have loved it, sweated on it, played the sh!t out of, and gotten every last inch out of this piece of wood that she has to give. She has made me bleed countless times as evidenced by the stains below her pickups. But all relationships have an end, and as of December, she has been retired to my wall as a monument to good ole' perseverance. The cost of a full fret job, complete new electronics and who-knows-what-else seems to point to replacement. So...

I recently bought a Cirrus "Darkwood" BXP as "test drive replacement" thinking if it feels right, I would buy a nice US made model. After a month of playing, I am not sold on it. Like every other basse I have dabbled with before the Cirrus, "something" is missing. Maybe its the satin finish versus the raw Koa of my old Peavey. I have considered stripping it to bare wood. I like the shape and how it feels strapped up, but I really missd the concave body of my old bass.

In my hunt for a new bass, I have narrowed down my criteria. I am looking for: A) 4 strings B) neck thru C) P/J or two soapbar humbuckers D) raw wood/oil finish. I have played at Cirrus (which I own), Ibanez BTB and SR900, Schecter, Warwick and a few others. It should be noted that I play a fairly punchy growly punk rock tone, but I have not really ever played a bass that I couldnt make sound good. I am far more concerned about my connection to my instrument than I am about brand or cost(within reason).

I liked the Ibanez SR900 and warwick for their concave bodies. The Ibanez had a glossy finish though.:meh: The Warwick was rad, but was way too pricey. I would love to find a neck through BTB in a 4 stringer, but havent seen one yet nor a model number to look for. I didnt mind the Schecter (which actually reminded me a lot of my Cirrus) but again... the gloss finish.

Any suggestions? Again, sorry for being so long winded.:oops:
  2. cableguy

cableguy Supporting Member

Not sure what your price point is by the post. Seems like a Spector Euro might fit the bill. If that's too pricey, look at an older Spector NS2A. PJ pups, and a very punchy, growly tone......
  3. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Take a look at Carvin. Best neck in the business IMO
  4. TinIndian

TinIndian

I agree with the Spector suggestions. Seems to fit the bill with one exception. The finish.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jimmynotch

jimmynotch

My price point is probably around $1200 give or take. I havent played a Specter Euro, but I will look around for one to try out. they have a neat look from what i can tell. I did play a Carvin a few years back and honestly it seemed alot like my Dynabass from what I remember. I seem to remember it having a kinda muddy tone, though that could be remedied with p'ups I guess.
  7. Jimmy Stump

Jimmy Stump Supporting Member

(scratches head)

My Spector has a raw wood finish?
  8. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

Spector was also the first bass I thought of. Growl? It'll growl, oh yes, it most certainly will.
  9. Davo-London

Davo-London

Resurrect your Peavey. Give it some love - carry on.

Davo
  10. SeanNeedham

SeanNeedham

I'm in agreement with Davo ^^, if you cannot find something that suits your needs, fix the old one up or find another Dynabass and go with that.
  11. Basshappi

Basshappi

This may not be a very exciting suggestion but why not get another Dyna bass? There are some very nice ones on ebay right now. Heck, for the money you have to spend you could get 2. :D
  12. Robus

Robus Supporting Member

Yes.
  13. jimmynotch

jimmynotch

I was told about $300 for a fret job and $400 for new electronics which puts me into the realm of looking for a new piece of wood. Plus, i am kinda ready to look for something else.

After doing some searches, I played a BTB which i liked. It was very fast and really punchy, but cant find a 4 string neck-thru. Do they exist? Model number? I also have always liked the SRs and after seeing one that has the concave body with a NT construction, I am almost thinking I can find two of those fairly easy.