Finding a No OS PC

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by wraub, Apr 8, 2014.

1. wraub

wraub

Disclosures:
    I'll have an IPA, please.
    Hey all. As the title says, I am looking for a pc without an OS. I have a disc and COA for Win 7 64 bit, and am running same on my home brew box already.

Looking for a basic PC to throw this in, for hopefully not a lot of cash. Any suggestions? Looked at newegg, tiger direct, etc. with mixed results. Not really into the whole touchscreen thing, and really not a fan of Win 8 or even 8.1.

Would probably keep the box I have now for music production, and use the new one for internet and such.

Anyone? TIA

2. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Geeks.com used to sell barebones systems with no OS. Geeks went out of business. Try newegg?

3. wraub

wraub

Disclosures:
    I'll have an IPA, please.
    Newegg I did try, limited options though.

Anyone familiar with the Zotac ZBOX ? Looking at one as a possibility.

4. Handyman

Handyman

You'll generally save money by getting a PC preloaded with Windows. All the crapware the big OEMs load onto PCs generates more revenue than they pay for Windows.

It literally costs a big maker like Dell more to ship out a PC with a blank drive than one with Windows.

It's a horrible arrangement, but you can reformat your new PC immediately and put whatever you want on it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. zachoff

zachoff

craigslist... Find something w/ decent hardware and you'll be fine.

7. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    Newegg has at least one Asus notebook with Ubuntu pre-installed, which would be pretty much equivalent to not paying for an OS.

8. edpal

edpal Banned

Media:
    Albums:
    MagicMicro.com - you can snag a nice fast, new machine without an OS for a few hundred. I did that recently - I had a hard drive from out of another machine that was loaded with Windows 7 Pro 64 bit - used a disc cloning/mirroring tools and started the new machine off with the OS from that drive, which I had COA for. Sure, was a little goofy for first few boots as I uploaded and sorted out the peripherals but really wasn't bad.

You'll have a much easier time starting with just the disc.

I detest the bloaaaatware, I live to delete it ALL!!

9. Happynoj

Happynoj

Build your own. You can generally build for less than you can buy, you can spec it how you want, and you can have fun in the process!

10. GrumpiusMaximus

GrumpiusMaximus I've Seen Things You People Wouldn't Believe Supporting Member

I remember reading an article a long time ago about this. Apparently you are within your rights to buy a PC and ask the company that made the laptop to refund you the money for the OS licence provided you demonstrate that you will delete the OEM installation.

Worth checking.

11. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Buy a recent used computer and put your own OS on it.