1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Finding an upgrade.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Trus3683, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Trus3683

Trus3683

Alright guys. I need help. I'm looking for suggestions of a 24 fret Fender Jazz-Style bass as an upgrade from my Yamaha RBX 170 but still relatively inexpensive (400 dollars?) new or used.

I've been playing this bass for a long time and have grown very used to it. I now play in a metalcore band and need something more versatile than the RBX but am still looking to play a bass that feels like it. I'm not only looking for a 'metal bass' but something to cover any genre.

I've considered buying another RBX and gutting it, adding an onboard EQ, new bridge and actives. Would this be a feasible idea?

2. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

Used Carvib LB70. It should cost anywhere from a quarter to a third of what it was new, and it has an ebony fingerboard and 24 frets.
    Not sure how it would compare to the yamaha, but it's a great bass.

3. Trus3683

Trus3683

Price on the Carvin from the site from a quick glance is a grand. That's a bit too expensive although it seems a great value.

4. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

I was suggesting a used one. They generally go for between $300 and $500.
    Carvin's are a great to buy used because all though they're top quality, american made basses, they have horrific resale value.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Trus3683

Trus3683

Hahah; I was always wondering why that is, actually. They have very solid stuff. Maybe it's because they are easily paired with Crate and Behringer in the entry gear market?

Carvin has been added to my list of possibilities. Any other suggestions in case I can't find any for a while? I like a fall-back plan and as many as possible!
    By the way, I love the famous Gorn as your avatar.