1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Finding local musicians

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by nirvana1410, Feb 1, 2013.

1. nirvana1410

nirvana1410

This may have been covered before, but oh well.

What kind of websites are good for finding local musicians other than craigslist? I mean, maybe there aren't any... but if there are, I would like to know of them.

2. Mykk

Mykk

BandMix comes to mind

3. nirvana1410

nirvana1410

Yeah, I've been there. Gotta pay money to do almost anything. I tried that once. You had to put your email address on your bio in a whatever@gmail(dot)com format. I never had many responses from it, and you could only contact those who did the same. Which was like, no one. haha

4. jonas_24112

jonas_24112

Networking. End of story.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Davbassdude

Davbassdude

Thinking back to most of my earlier band connections, it turns out that people who were seeking a bass player were referred to me by a local music store. Back in the late 70's and early 80's in New Jersey, and even the past few years in Florida. Some of the best musicians I played with were actually connected to the original contact. So as Jonas said, "Networking"

7. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

+1

It really is the best way.

8. JimiLL

JimiLL Supporting Member

Get out to places that have bands, and start talking to people and shaking hands

Wow that rhymed....

9. Rockford

Rockford

The internet is useful but the old fashioned way still works best. Go listen to the bands that play what you play. Every city has some kind of "Weekender" section in the paper with venues and band listings. Go check them out and introduce yourself on a break and go from there.

10. mogpipe

mogpipe

citybeat.com has listings in classifieds. For different cities in different regions.

11. Piggy8692

Piggy8692

As far as networking goes, what are some pitfalls or some tried and true strategies (if any)?

Being one who has always looked to the internet as a way to find musicians, the idea of networking is somewhat new to me.

I found my first band by networking at school.. But since then nothing has ever turned out.

Do you just go up to people at shows and ask if they nned a bassist, or ask guys that you see playing that you want to have them join your project?

I t hink that some insight here would be helpful to us unleaned networkers.

12. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Supporting Member

This. There's no other way that won't waste a LOT of your time chasing down dead ends and wannabees. Get out to places musicians go, such as open mics and jams, and participate.

13. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

Most music stores have bulleting boards that you can post to. I mean physical, cork bulleting boards, not online. Make up a little flyer, some business cards, etc. & bring your own stapler or thumbtacks.

14. Mykk

Mykk

Craigslist and classifieds are a place to start. If you don't know anyone in a new town/city and you're looking to start somewhere. These are great, but from my experience the personally gratifying, working, and paying bands I've been in came about from networking.

Usually it comes down friends of friends. You get known in your circle of friends (usually other musicians) as a bass player, you get asked to join a jam or meet up to play. Then you get known as a good bass player and soon enough the right band will call you.

It doesn't hurt to have a website, social media, youtube videos, etc. You can and will get gigs from the online "EPK" and it helps build a stable impression of professionalism. Yet, the networking circle is best.

My bands in Los Angeles I found/found me via CL. It's been fun, it's been a learning experience, most of all it's been a ton of work. It's been a good start. My bands in Arizona came about from networking and friends, although not as high profile as the L.A. bands I've had way more fun and made more money playing with the Az bands.

15. Ubersheist

Ubersheist

+1000

I was in a similar situation earlier last year. I just moved to the area and literally knew no one. Here's what worked for me:

- If there are local jams or open mics, go to them. Go and see bands you like and think that they're doing things right. Talk to them.

- The best use of the internet for you is to have a website (or at very least a facebook or reverbnation page) where there's music samples.
    - Spend $30 or $40 on business cards that refer to the website. This was far and away the best investment I've made in a long time.

Yup. That's about it, tho don't ask to join the project. If you're meeting them at a show, they probably don't need one. Let them do the math if they need a bassist.

It's better to see if they know of anyone who's looking around. Bassist are usually in demand, so they almost certainly know others who need one or are looking to start up a new band. Again, look for open mics or jams. Try not to waste time offering yourself up as a player to other musicians that aren't up to your par (unless they pay really well).

Craigslist and other websites aren't great for finding bands and other musicians. They just aren't. There's always a chance that a band is very desperate and is resorting to a website, but that's not usually the case. Good bands usually have a network of other musicians and don't look to the internet to find someone.

16. craig.p

craig.p Supporting Member

My advice is do anything and everything already mentioned, because sometimes the best leads come from the places least expected.

As for CL and Bandmix, I've found the flake-to-sane ratio on CL to be higher than it is on Bandmix. But there are flakes on Bandmix. Nevertheless, both CL and Bandmix have come through for me in the past, even if the final outcomes weren't all that great (mostly my fault for doing crappy vetting).

The nice thing about Bandmix is what some other people don't like about it: it costs money to use it per the TOS, i.e. honestly. But imo that's its appeal. That cover charge screens out a lot of the wannabes and the non-serious. I have never gotten a Bandmix inquiry from someone whose heart and soul wasn't totally into his project. It's just that more often than not, that person turned out to be his own worst enemy.

FWIW, I recently found a decent P&W band on CL, and may have just found a second one on Bandmix. So, who knows.

17. Rockford

Rockford

I'd say some common pitfalls are being insincere with a compliment and asking for too much too quick. Another would be to talk to the leader without talking to the bass player. Might look like you're trying to move in on his turf. No one likes that. Mentioning you're new to the area and/or looking for a new band to play with is pretty non-threatening. Be friendly, ask for a card and don't pester. Good luck.

18. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

A lot of music stores have an area where you can put up a "bass player available" ad or something like that. I've had moderate success with this method in the past.

19. SquierJazz72

SquierJazz72

I'm pretty much back to the idea of good old fashioned networking, and keeping my name out there in front of people, as much as possible. I make it a point to often be a fixture at local music stores and meet whoever I can.

Did get contacted through bandmix by a drummer looking for a bassist, but he seems to have flaked out after a couple of contacts and a face to face, even though we really seemed to be on the same page, musically speaking.

20. RockSanity

RockSanity Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Founder & CEO, RockSanity.com
    Full disclosure mandates that I disclose that I developed the website called Rocksanity. This site was designed for musicians to find each other and allow for reasonable (sorry Craigslist) dialog between musicians as well as provide a means for buying, selling and trading gear. Check it out http://www.rocksanity.com It's Free!

21. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I am on Bandmix and didn't have to pay for it. I get emails all the time from bands looking for bass players. The majority are also on CL.