Finding Teacher = Exhausting

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by dannyk, Feb 6, 2014.

1. dannyk

dannyk Supporting Member

I Googled this site and browsed a lesson finder elsewhere looking for a teacher. On this site the results were disappointing; on the other site the results were overwhelming.

Can't a guy get a break? ;)

I'm looking for a teacher in the L.A./greater L.A. area. I'm assuming the best teachers are located in and around here - seems logical, right? L.A.? One of the few music meccas of the U.S.? I am willing to travel. (I live in the High Desert area.)

What I'm looking for, since I am a quasi-beginner to the bass guitar, is someone who can teach me correct technique. I can manage most everything else on my own. I just don't want to develop bad habits that will bite me in the rear later.

As a guitarist I developed said bad habits early on (25 years ago) that now limit me. I don't want to make the same mistake with the bass.

I found someone from the search here that looks promising - Ms. Carol Kaye. I have an email out to her. I'm crossing my fingers. Wait, scratch that - my email was just returned as undeliverable (spam filter, it seems). I am also emailing the local Cal State University's music program for referrals.

Is there anyone here who is available?

Thanks for your time,
    Dan

2. BobaFret

BobaFret Supporting Member

I would not rule out online (skype or similar) lessons. There are a ton of great pro players doing them.

Check out the Janek Gwizdala forum, I think he does them.

3. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I'm a Fuzzrocious-aholic. It's been one week since I bought my last Fuzzrocious pedal.
    It's worth the effort. If you can study with Carol, I would. Ignore the TB haters. The mere mention of her name gets their panties in a wad.

4. dannyk

dannyk Supporting Member

Thank you for the JG referral. Carol has just responded to me and she is willing to Skype. I first need to study her DVD on technique, though. I'll give that a whirl. I'm not worried about different opinions on instructors; I'm quite able of evaluating teaching styles. I taught at one time, too.

We'll see.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Icculus

Icculus

Since you are a beginner, my advice would be to avoid paying top $ for JG or Carol Kaye at this point. I don't even know what they charge, but in the early portions of your bass education, you can learn what you need from someone much less high profile (ie, a UCLA music student). In fact, paying a talented college student might be the best way to get good lessons for an affordable price.

7. dannyk

dannyk Supporting Member

Icculus - I'm taking in all of the collective advice this forum has to offer - yours included! I'm going to contact some local universities (UCR, CSUSB, etc.) and see what I can find. I'm already grateful for joining TB!

8. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

9. MHensleyJr

MHensleyJr

Subscribed. I live somewhat close by (Loma Linda/Redlands area) and would love to find a decent teacher for my son.

10. Lo-E

Lo-E

I think this is excellent advice. Carol Kaye and JG are both world-class players and experienced educators, but a serious music student could teach you exactly what you are looking for and they could probably use the cash. Save the big names for learning bigger concepts.

11. michele

michele

12. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

Carol managed to get through life without getting a real job.

That's my definition of success right now.

And let's face it. Brian Wilson brought her in to play bass while he conducted.

And the bass intro to Wichita Lineman was her's too.

Check out some of her Youtube stuff. Allegedly there's a vid of here and Gene Simmonds.

She's a real player. You could have a chance to learn from a real cat.

13. PullMyFinger

PullMyFinger

Is there an easy way to search TB for instructors in my area?

14. dannyk

dannyk Supporting Member

If you're using the web interface there are links in the menu above. The fifth one over from the left is a search dropdown menu where you can search the site via Google or the internal search engine built into the forum's software. I entered the keywords "instructor, teacher, southern california, los angeles) and got about 100 threads in return. Then I started reading the threads.

I just downloaded the iPhone app (see bottom of page) for this site. I haven't had much time to look at it for searching the site but I imagine that it's not that difficult.

15. henry2513

henry2513 Supporting Member

:rolleyes:

Any pro making a living will tell you that it's not all fun and games.

16. dannyk

dannyk Supporting Member

In an interview she mentioned that the days in the studio were long and sometimes extremely boring. She would often get 5 hours of sleep a night. Also, to make ends meet (she has kids) sometimes a second job was needed.

The interview is over an hour long but very interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4JWqK6r6N4

17. dinodino

dinodino Supporting Member

Watching this video now- I never realized she was behind all these amazing lines!

18. dannyk

dannyk Supporting Member

It looks like I found an instructor - or he found me, though he was on my list of people to contact. Details to follow ...

19. groooooove

groooooove

you're best bet will be to find local college music students. whatever schools are closest to you, shoot an email to the chair of their music department, get in touch with the bass teacher, and ask if he has any students he can recommend as a teacher.

music students will be just as good (for a beginner) as a pro, and most will charge less than half of what a pro will.

i'd avoid takelessons.com and those sorts of sites- while there are many good teachers on there, there are many bad ones too.

20. jeffbonny

jeffbonny Gold Supporting Member

21. aprod

aprod

If you have access to Carol Kaye take that lesson. It is a opportunity of a lifetime. THE best teacher in the world.