1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Finding the right Hybrid: Hartke LH500?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by JoeyDYee, Mar 1, 2014.

1. JoeyDYee

JoeyDYee

Mar 1, 2014
    Hello all, this is my first time posting. I have read up on all the tube vs solid state discussion on this site and many others and am now looking for some more personal recommendations for me.

I play rock, melodic funk, and slap (I'm sure I'm butchering the terminology), which for a good idea of my desired sound, is somewhere in between RHCP, Arctic Monkeys, and Sly and the Family Stone. A couple key points:

1. I really value the ability to be able to quickly transition into a good sounding distortion. It is important to me that the notes are still quite discernible from one another; I don't want the unintelligible hum that I get on my current dinky combo.

2. While I really value a deep tone, I also must have something that can emphasize slapping very well. I need something that isn't limited to those deep , room filling bass tones but can also get funky really fast.

My guitarist has said that all tube is the way to go, although after reading a lot on here, I'm not so sure. My price range definitely won't allow for a majority of them anyway, honestly like $300-400.

So what do you guys think? I have been looking at the LH500 and have found a great deal, but am hesitant to go for it until I know how it would specifically suit me.

Any input is very much appreciated. Thanks in advance :help:

2. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    the hartke wont distort. Get yourself a nice fuzz pedal and it will though. I own the hartke lh500 and love it but it does have the fender tone stack so remember bass 2 mids 10 treble 2 for a nice flat start.

3. Cirk

Cirk

Jan 16, 2011
    Newport News, VA
    Great amp from what I've seen, and Larry Hartke's CS is tops.

4. bobalu

bobalu

Oct 1, 2004
    above the 49th
    I have the LH500 and its a great sounding amp, but clean. What Spaz said above, a fuzz pedal should solve the issue nicely.

5. JoeyDYee

JoeyDYee

Mar 1, 2014
    Ok great, so for the price and my style (if I pick up a fuzz pedal) this seems like a quality pick.