1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Finding the right Hybrid: Hartke LH500?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by JoeyDYee, Mar 1, 2014.

1. JoeyDYee

JoeyDYee

Hello all, this is my first time posting. I have read up on all the tube vs solid state discussion on this site and many others and am now looking for some more personal recommendations for me.

I play rock, melodic funk, and slap (I'm sure I'm butchering the terminology), which for a good idea of my desired sound, is somewhere in between RHCP, Arctic Monkeys, and Sly and the Family Stone. A couple key points:

1. I really value the ability to be able to quickly transition into a good sounding distortion. It is important to me that the notes are still quite discernible from one another; I don't want the unintelligible hum that I get on my current dinky combo.

2. While I really value a deep tone, I also must have something that can emphasize slapping very well. I need something that isn't limited to those deep , room filling bass tones but can also get funky really fast.

My guitarist has said that all tube is the way to go, although after reading a lot on here, I'm not so sure. My price range definitely won't allow for a majority of them anyway, honestly like $300-400.

So what do you guys think? I have been looking at the LH500 and have found a great deal, but am hesitant to go for it until I know how it would specifically suit me.

Any input is very much appreciated. Thanks in advance :help:

2. spaz21387

spaz21387

the hartke wont distort. Get yourself a nice fuzz pedal and it will though. I own the hartke lh500 and love it but it does have the fender tone stack so remember bass 2 mids 10 treble 2 for a nice flat start.

3. Cirk

Cirk

Great amp from what I've seen, and Larry Hartke's CS is tops.

4. bobalu

bobalu

I have the LH500 and its a great sounding amp, but clean. What Spaz said above, a fuzz pedal should solve the issue nicely.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JoeyDYee

JoeyDYee

Ok great, so for the price and my style (if I pick up a fuzz pedal) this seems like a quality pick.