1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Finding your beat center

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by ameshokostreet, Dec 19, 2013.

1. ameshokostreet

ameshokostreet

Hi guys,
    Does anybody know what Hal is talking about here?

I cant seem to relate to what Hal is talking about, is he referring to a single beat(playing behind, ahead) or is he talking about phrasing?

I cant hear the difference with regards to the sax player, he sounds really great on both takes.

It seems like he's talking about some sort of rhythmic consistency of some sort. Can anybody enlighten me on what this beat center is?

Thanks
  2. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

First off. The video's sound is not the best. Mine stopped so many times with spooling that I lost track of what was going on, plus I could not understand what Hal was saying. In general the video is not of the best quality. At least on my computer - and my old ears.

What I heard in the first sax solo - The sax was doing his thing and no one was in time with him and he was not in time with either of the other instruments. Sounded like no one was setting the beat. Treble clef was running free, There was no beat foundation.

I did not stay for the last solo - spooling continued.

Finding your beat center. Your internal metronome. Once the beat is laid down we should be able to maintain that beat - so we all are on the same page together. The sax was doing his thing as that was his most important THING. He was not a member of the band doing a solo. He was doing a solo with no regard to what was happening around him. It was not a band working together.

That is what I think was being said.