Finger joints

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Tyghej, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Tyghej

Tyghej

Does any body elses finger joints ache? or feel really weird when its cold? Kinda like you just got bone there and no flesh...
  2. fearceol

fearceol

3. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Wear gloves....seriously, when ever the opportunity arises wear gloves.
    Your joints have fluids to lubricates them, fluids freeze or be come clumpy when they get to cold. Joints in the hands are thinly covered, especially the backs of them, so rub in some petroleum jelly on the backs of the hands and fingers, then wash off the palms but leave the trace of the jelly on the backs, this will take the edge of the cold, draw the blood to them so stop the arteries from contracting and restricting the blood flow.

Any moisture or sweat the skin produces will freeze as well, cold enough to see your breathe, cold enough to freeze your skin. There are many types and styles of gloves, even mitts, so just as you would wear a hat to keep your head warm, wear some gloves to keep your hands warm.:)

If it does not help, seek a GP or doctors for advice.
  4. Tupac

Tupac

Wear gloves like this :)
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. phillybass101

phillybass101

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Brubaker Guitars, Tecamp Bass Players Gear
    Speaking of gloves what kind of gloves does Etienne Mbappe wear when he plays bass? I saw some videos of him from NAMM and he had some gloves on.
  7. repoman

repoman

They ache on a good day, most days they down right kill!
    My hands are extremely arthritic from years of heavy laborious activities. It also doesn't help that I work in a cooler where the temps go from 52 degrees on the warm end to -10 (that's 10 below)in the deep freezer. Lots of fun in there.
    So what does a 50 year old guy with arthritic hands do?...why, take up the bass of course. :D
    Actually, just the fact that I push and stretch my hands to get to just the very basic fingering positions help my joints tremendously. The thing is with arthritis, you have to almost ignore it and keep using your joints routinely or you will end up like the tin man in the wizard of oz.
    Gloves are most definitely my best line of defense against the cold (them, and the hot air blowers in the breakroom.)
  8. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

He wears silk glooves because he likes the sound it creates. He feels it helps give him a bright sound due to the smooth attack from the glooves and maybe they just help keep his strings cleaner, free of sweat and grease for longer so he notices the tone difference.
  9. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

One of the common complaints to develop from the cold (and damp) is Chilblains.
    Chilblains are cause by warming cold or damp hands up to quick, the added heat, intenseness, and sudden rise in temperature cause the blood to rush back into the hands before the arteries and veins have fully opened again.
    Because cold wether constricts the arteries and veins the blood flow slows down, this adds to the numbness and coldness the hands feel.
    Blood likes to travel warm and when it can flow correctly it can help maintain the body in many ways.

Part of the hand problem is a design one, it is just so easy to put them close to a heat source.
    Because we can stretch out our arms we can put our hands close to heat sources under our heart line.
    This means the not only does the heat open up the arteries and veins but it draws blood in to that area.
    So if to much blood comes in, the smaller arteries "leak" and if the veins cannot get the 'old' blood out fast enough, then it is like a small concertina effect as the new fast moving warm blood is slowed down by the old slow moving colder blood.

By letting the body naturally heat up all 'body systems' regulate at the correct speeds so now one part of it is ever overloaded. (think conserve body heat in cases such as Hypothermia and introduce new heat slowly and gradually)

The best advise in the cold is wrap up and protect yourself from it, do not allow it the chance to take hold.
    Heat can be just as detrimental to our health as well if we are in the sun for to long, we need to protect ourselves from the elements if they will affect out health.
    My mother taught us " no such thing as bad weather....just wrong cloths".....I find that applies in all situations hot or cold.:)
  10. jaywa

jaywa

Not with the joints per se but I have noticed this winter for the first time that the pinky of my fretting (left) hand is sometimes sore for a couple days after a gig or rehearsal. That's never happened to me before.

Cold weather + age are a bad combination I guess. :meh:
  11. Schmorgy

Schmorgy

12. Tyghej

Tyghej

Im gunna find some gloves! im only 23, surely i should have arthritis already!....