1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

FINGER NOISE USING ROUNDS ON A SHORT-SCALE HOLLOWBODY?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by DWLANG, Feb 13, 2013.

1. DWLANG

DWLANG

I started using a Höfner CT 500/7 Verythin bass lately and LOVE it to death! :hyper:

I have roundwounds on it as I'm a fingerplucker (ie: no pick) and I don't want it to sound muddy down low on the E string.

:help:
    The problem that I'm having is that I'm getting alot of finger noise on the A, D, and G strings closer to the headstock.

Do I just need to work on my technique, or should I consider flat or tapewound strings?

If I do go with flats / tapes, how will that sound not playing w/ a pick? Would it just be too muddy / thumpy overall??

I play through a Fender Bassman TV 10 and 15 (no horn) and also through an Ampeg Portaflex PF350 w/ 210 cab (w/ horn)

2. zazz

zazz

Are they new strings?.....I found my Casady rounds were way too clackety with finger noise until they settled into a solid wump ..... I can't see me changing these strings for a long time now.

3. Pimpernel Smith

Pimpernel Smith

The Hofner Verithin bass is a beautiful instrument, congratulation on getting it. You didn't say what type of roundwounds you currently have on it. I found great success with Thomastic-Infeld's Jazz roundwound strings for short scale 32 inch. They are a very articulate, low tension string. They produce rich, deep, clear tones. They also have very fine windings, which greatly reduces finger noise. Arching your hand when playing also reduces finger noise, as it makes you use your finger tips of your left hand.

Most Hofner players use flats, and mostly either Pyramid Gold short scale, or Thomastic Infeld Jazz flatwound 32, set of 4. Both are excellent and very long lasting. They give the classic Hofner sound. There is no finger noise with these. Pyramid makes the Hofner branded flats. Both are rather expensive, but they are the best and will last a very long time. Neither will put too much pressure on you bass.

If you use both pick ups, you can dial in your sound without being to heavy or muddy.
    I never use a pick on my Hofners.

4. DWLANG

DWLANG

They are new strings as I just got the bass a couple of weeks ago and took it to my brilliant luthier to upgrade the pots / jack / action / strings

Could just be that I need to be patient to "break in" the strings and better acclimate myself to the short scale of the bass?? (my primary used to be a Fender P)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. zazz

zazz

Yeah give it some time ....and then reevaluate....

7. DWLANG

DWLANG

I've heard of the Thomastic Infeld Jazz flatwound 32's recommended alot for Höfners...

Would this be something my local shop would carry, or something I would have to order online?

8. Pimpernel Smith

Pimpernel Smith

I got mine through bassstringsonline.com

Many people who use this forum will agree that they are a great source, and extremely helpful.

Your local shop might have them, I couldn't say.

9. DWLANG

DWLANG

I just shot an email off to my local shop (Goodtime Music in Streamwood, IL) and if they don't have 'em, I've asked them to order a set of Thomastic Infeld Jazz flatwound 32 for me!

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    The Jazz Flats are a good string if you like the sound of rounds but with a flat feel. I could never get used to them, but those who use them love them like no other string I ever saw.

11. DWLANG

DWLANG

bassstringsonline.com is a pretty quirky website...not all of the links on their site work, my laptop questions the certificates on several of their pages, and no matter what I tried, the site wouldnt let me add the Thomastic Infeld Jazz flatwound 32's to my shopping cart.

Ended up purchasing the strings at musiciansfreind.com