1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Finger picks for bass?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by The_Phoenician, Aug 17, 2013.

1. The_Phoenician

The_Phoenician

I've always liked the tones players like Chris Squire get by playing with a pick, but I've never been able to get the hang of playing with one. If I used the same kinds of finger picks that guitarists like Freddie King used, would I be able to get a pick sound while still playing with my fingers?
  2. josiah goldfish

josiah goldfish

Fingerpicks are picks that you clip onto your fingers, not flimsy guitarist picks, they're thicker. I doubt it would work too well because I think you'd pull them off trying to play on the bugger strings.
  3. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton Gold Supporting Member

4. gavinspoon

gavinspoon

I tried it with metal banjo style picks, and it was a cool pick like sound. I prefer them to the plastic ones because you can more easily reshape them to fit your fingers better (there's advice on doing this on banjo forums). They're cheap enough that you can try it out without breaking the bank, so you might as well try it.

In the end I stopped using them because I like being able to switch between pick and fingers mid song.
  5. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

You could always just grow out your fingernails, that will get you pretty much a plectrum sound without the hassle of sticking things on your fingers. I've played with my fingernails for about 30 years now.
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ew, I can't stand the touch of nails on strings...like chalk squeaking on a blackboard ;) Gives me the chills. How do you take it?
  7. grimacingreaper

grimacingreaper

The bassist from Godsmack uses them if i remember correctly. His name is Robbie Merrill.

i think he uses the dunlop fingerpicks.
  8. Bassic Playing

Bassic Playing

I tried for a while, couldn't make it work. They just sort of fell off, or wrapped around the string too much.
  9. Orangeclawhamme

Orangeclawhamme

The various bass players (Rockette Morton and Eric Drew Feldman) in Captain Beefheart's bands used banjo picks.
  10. Mktrat

Mktrat Huh? Supporting Member

How can you frail without a bit of fingernail?

+1 Robbie Merrill uses fingerpicks quite well.
  11. RandomBox

RandomBox

When I saw Night Ranger last Sunday, it looked like their bassist/singer used a thumb pick.
  12. Kenzy

Kenzy

I use a thumb pick, and I grow my fingernails out a bit for the plectrum sound while playing fingerstyle. The thumb pick is just for incorporating the thumb in, though, obviously, so it's not much related...just thought I'd throw that out since it was brought up.

As long as you maintain your nails well, by not allowing them too get too long, they should be able to take just about all you can throw at them just fine. I would just do this, were I you.
  13. soundmeds_bass

soundmeds_bass

If it's Chris Squier's sound you're after simply try to do pinched harminics while playing with a pick. I'm pretty sure that's his own explanation to his sound. That and the fact that his Rickenbacker has been modified through the years.
  14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I don't mind the backs of my nails getting hit by strings. But I greatly mind the fronts and tips. Not only does it give me the chills, but I worry constantly about ripping a nail right off.
  15. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

I suppose it all depends on how strong/thick your nails are but I've never had mine break or chip from playing bass and I grow them long, like a good half inch past my finger. Been doing this since the 80's.
  16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    My nails do suck.
  17. Exploiter8

Exploiter8 Supporting Member

John Wetton is quite the thumb-picker!

X8
  18. ngh

ngh

I went through a phase for a while where i was trying to integrate thumb picks into my technique. my reasoning being I could easily switch from finger style to a pick without any effort, and within a song if necessary. i soon realized that I don't like playing with a pick... I do think the idea was inspired though!