Fingerboard gunk question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Gorn Captain, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

It's not all that visible in the pics, but there's some gunk on the ebony of my carvin Lb90. I doubt it's been cleaned in its 26 years of life. Should the wood be cleaned? Conditioned with oil or something like that? Any thoughts/advice/recommendations would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

Twelfth fret

Attached Files:

3. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

It's really a question of whether it bothers you or not. A little Murphys Oil Soap and a bristle brush will get rid of the gunk. You can take it a step further and go over everything with 0000 steel wool (I prefer the synthetic stuff since steel wool fibers like to stick to the pickups). As far as oil goes, it's not necessary but it doesn't hurt to apply a small amount of fingerboard conditioner. There are lots of threads here on the subject so I won't beat a dead horse and list them all again here. If you would like a simple all-in-one solution check out Gorgomyte.

4. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

A wipe with a damp rag would be sufficient...if you really feel concerned about it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SBassman

SBassman Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Dealer: PiccoBass Guitar-scale Basses
    Thanks for that Gorgomyte reference. I learned something today. Never knew about that stuff. It looks really impressive.