1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fingering Root Five Octave

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by bassist1962, Dec 4, 2013.

1. bassist1962

bassist1962

Playing acoustic rock, I come across this pattern often, but havent found a fingering to make it sound smooth and musical. Lines such as The Who's 'Sparks' (from Tommy), or Pink Floyd's 'Money'. On bass guitar I bridge the notes sharing a common fret with one finger, but due to string spacing, this is not always possible on double bass. As always, any advice would be appreciated.
  2. misterbadger

misterbadger

I just move whatever finger is on the five over one string. Bridging doesn't work for me - one of the notes will be out of tune.
  3. senp5f

senp5f

If you can stretch it, try 1, 2, 4 (reinforced w/ 3). Otherwise, 1, 4, 4.
  4. bkbirge

bkbirge Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    I do 1, 3, and bridge with 3 and 4 for support on the octave. Seems to mostly work.
  5. TroyK

TroyK Supporting Member