Fingernails cut to the quick

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Ezmar, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Ezmar

Ezmar

So I clipped my fingernails last night, and I cut them a little too close, and now they're in pain, ans I'm sure some of you know. I have a concert on Thursday, and I was wondering if they'd probably be better by then. Not a big deal, though.

Anyone else have fingernail issues?
  2. SamanthaCay

SamanthaCay

When you're not playing bass use lotion.
  3. Ezmar

Ezmar

Will that heal it under the nails?
  4. onda'bass

onda'bass Supporting Member

never clip...file them.....much harder to do that.
  5. HolmeBass

HolmeBass

If I clip them too short and they are smarting, especially after playing, before I go to bed I put a little neosporin on them and cover them with a bandaid. By the morning they are usually much less sensitive and good to go.
  6. SamanthaCay

SamanthaCay

yes.:)
  7. Ezmar

Ezmar

Oh, well there's the problem; I did BOTH. :rolleyes: I clip them and then file them even. I think it happens when I do it too often, because I never seem to have the problem when it's been longer. I probably want to cut too much off when they're already rather short. Not a huge problem. I'm blessed with skin relatively free of problems.
  8. ZanaZulu807

ZanaZulu807

I'm going through the same thing, it hurts especially when the skin pulls away from the nail and makes this "C" shape of unattached skin. If it starts to feel funny I use Neosporin and it usually dulls the pain away in a matter of hours...

I always file my nails, but my problem is that the callous on my index is flattening and more fingernail is hitting the string rather than skin. This has irked me so much that I've become kinda OC about filing. What I notice that works for me though is to file on the top edge of the nail rather than the edge entirely. Most of the time, I generally bring the pain on myself as I have this insane habit of playing for hours RIGHT after I file my nails; That usually hastens the skin peeling from the nail.
  9. JakeAndAirwaves

JakeAndAirwaves

I have had a habit of peeling my nails off. Not the whole nail, just the excess. Its a nasty habit. I'm trying to shake it. It keeps them nice and low, though. When you put lotion on, it softens your skin, you know, what it's made for. My fingertips aren't calloused, but they are rough from playing guitar and bass. My callouses didn't stay. My fingers only hurt after playing for many MANY hours straight on guitar. With bass, its the muscles that hurt before the skin. I advise against lotion, unless I have been horribly mislead.
  10. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

It will heal OK you have only exposed the nail bed. The soft bed is protected by the nail, so if exposed will always be tender. If you you put some surgical spirit or rubbing alcohol on them it will help harden the skin. Or if need be, a little bit of superglue to protect the bed ( the superglue will act as the nail did) You should file your nails rather than cut them. filing gives you more control and shape, especially close to the nail bed.
  11. Randyt

Randyt Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Adult Pampers
    if you can find a real Aloe plant...break off a leaf and rubb on troubled area...heals in no time flat!! I use this on all my cuts etc.
  12. MartinG1957

MartinG1957 You can never have too many bones.... Supporting Member

I would strongly advise against using superglue on the nail bed or even directly onto the nail itself - this could cause damage to both tissues. Lotions, especially Aloe, as someone else suggested and a couple of days should see it recover. Might work for others but personally would never put superglue anywhere near skin. Up to you though!:)
  13. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

I see you use the word could, could can be used in any situation from you could be killed if you leave the house,to you could break your arm if you fall out of bed.
    Let me assure you super glue will not do you any harm..unless...... well....... lets say that the list of how it could harm you in long and possibley endless from the extreme to the silly if you want it to be. But.. and its a big but, i have never heard from or heard of anyone who has had any sort of damage or reaction to it being used in instances like this. I have used it and recommended it for over 20 years and have still to hear of it causing a problem.:)
  14. c4lvint1me

c4lvint1me

Me too :( having the same problem right now :meh:
  15. Russell L

Russell L

I play with my nails, so no problem. But, I've clipped them too short on my fretting hand before. A couple of days will do wonders to making them feel better.
  16. c4lvint1me

c4lvint1me

does that mean i can't play bass for a while?:meh:
  17. MartinG1957

MartinG1957 You can never have too many bones.... Supporting Member

Thanks...I'm not trying to argue...I unfortunately have psoriasis on my hands so I am very sensitive about what goes on them...I did see that on the Materials Safety Sheet for a typical superglue it says:

"May cause skin irritation. Cyanaoacrylates have been reported to cause allergic reaction due to rapid polymerization at the skin surface, an allergic response is rare. Cyanoacrylates generate heat during the cure process and in rare instances, a large drop can burn the skin" (Dynatex (R) 49403 Super Glue)

So yes, that's why I said "could" - it can happen and just before a gig wouldn't perhaps be the best time to find out if it would! :)
    On the other hand, I know that they have also been used to heal wounds following surgery and have even been used to stick damaged livers back together as well as other internal organs, only reason they aren't licensed for it is that they are off patent and it would cost a fortune to go through FDA approval..have even read of them being used in brain surgery (in animals)... your own experience backs up that they work and don't cause problems.. but there is a potential as with most substances, it seems to be at the irritation level though. Thanks for prompting a bit of research!
  18. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

No. if you have your nails continually short, the bed will harden at the end. If you cut you nails to a set length everytime then the bed underneath reflects that at the bed end. So if you happen to cut a bit to short you will expose that tender bed end and you will feel discomfort till the skin hardeds or the nail grows again. Nails grow fast so don't sweat it.

To understand the differance between nail and nail bed, look at your nails, the white part is nail, the pink part is nail bed. For a player the ideal length is to have a thin white band of nail above the pink of the bed. The thin white part of nail is enough to protect the end bed. Now the first time you do this it will be tender, that is why surgical spirit or rubbing alcohol is recomended to help harden the skin. The more you keep them at that length then the harder the skin will form as a matter of playing.

The best way to maintain them is by filling, i believe jacobass mentioned the same thing. In the link below is a picture of my hand and it shows my nails. I consider them to be long in that picture, but that is me, but what you can see is how low my nail bed ( the pink part as defined by the thin nail line) is to the finger tip. I have a lot of fingertip above the nail, so them ever catching strings is not an issue. As you use the fingertips in playing the relation of the nail is a factor to be adressed. You cannot just cut it down and not expect problems, you have to file and shape the nail. In doing so the file will also massage the nail bed and help gentley shape it.

19. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

wash the area, dry it, neosporin it and if possible gauze it for a day.
  20. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Also great, make sure you are not alergic to the main antibiotics it uses, bacitracin, neomycin, and polymyxin B.

I tend to not use any antibiotic product without medical advice, but that is just me.:)