1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Fingers and dynamics

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by sturoc, Dec 16, 2012.

1. sturoc

sturoc

So having played for many years since the mid 70s and now after a hiatus from bass, I have been actively playing again. it's always been my first 'love'.
    I mention this because lately I have noticed that when playing in bands the notes from my bass are not all even in volume as if either the pickups are hotter on certain strings than others - they are set evenly in height in relation to each string.
    Consider the fact that my finger technique has perhaps waned somewhat over the years. I wonder if throwing in a compressor limiter, like a DBX 163X, would cure the variants?

In addition when I play at lower volumes I can play faster and more intricate lines as opposed to when in rehearsals where louder volumes are needed and I am applying slightly stronger technique but also find myself getting sloppy sometimes due to this.
    Styles being played range from covers of 60s 70s.
    And much to my dismay a few originals (we need to do more ) yet I write much on my own as well.

I have seen many bassists play with seemingly effortless right hand technique and wonder if it is a matter of more practice practice practice again.

2. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike Supporting Member

practice practice practice

3. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Disclosures:
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    Don't worry about what you see in others, listen to your own playing.
    Get the bass checked out it maybe pup problem. Also you may have a dead spot on the neck, un-even fret area etc.
    String wise, check your gauge. I alway opt for a set that is even in gauge, so .20 between each string. As the bass is tuned in 4ths there no need to have strings where the gauge reduces or gains though a set...even string gauges means even tone...especially when doing walking lines.

As you have listened to your playing and identified an problem area, check it out properly to cure the problem at source not cover it over.
    There are some great exercises out there to help your hands work better, and if your hands work better, your tone improves in many more ways that a comp/limiter just cannot do.

4. jabsys

jabsys

Equal gauge isn't as important as equal tension imo, for example a 80 A & 100 E are about 6lbs different in tension. 105 E sounds & feels more even to me.

5. Register to disable this ad