Fingers vs pick

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by tycobb73, Jan 1, 2012.

1. tycobb73

tycobb73

I prefer the feel of fingers but the sound of a pick. I found the sound in my head with a pick. With my fingers its meh. I think the pick won out. Anyone else go through this?
  2. PDGood

PDGood Supporting Member

Yes, but in reverse. I'm faster and more accurate with a pick, but prefer the sound of fingers.
  3. VitalSigns

VitalSigns

Try using your finger nails.
  4. jabsys

jabsys

I'm the same, I prefer to play fingerstyle and I'm more comfortable with fingers but they just don't work for the tone I want, so I play with a pick. I've tried with nails and it still doesn't sound right, might have to try the fingerpicks classical guitarist use.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. cableguy

cableguy Supporting Member

maybe use both for whatever feel the music needs.
  7. john grey

john grey

Took the letters right out of my keyboard. Differing positions (close to the bridge or neck), thumbs, picks, finger are all colors. I frankly wish I was better with a pick as the sounds are substantially different. The only "Problem" I would ever foresee is an individual not experimenting.

In the world of painting there may be 18 different "greens" from one base pigment. It would be a limiting factor to stop at a mid-level green The eyes and ears go so far beyond that mod-level root color.
  8. klejst

klejst

To each their own style of playing and tones based on whatever method you choose. The fingers or pick debate could go on and on about how real bass players don't use picks blah blah blah.
  9. Tupac

Tupac

Pick = Small learning curve, moderate effectiveness
    Fingers = Very large learning curve, giant effectiveness

In other words, you can become good with a pick very fast, but you can't do much once you're at the pick's "skill ceiling". Fingerstyle takes decades to perfect, but you can do amazing things once you've mastered it.
  10. Topspin

Topspin

Love the sounds I can make with both fingerstyle and a pick, but I suck at using a pick.
  11. aServantLeader

aServantLeader

I am confined to a pick, due to physical limitations. I use old gift cards as my pick, cut up in a manner that my right hand can hold them.
  12. jabsys

jabsys

Not for me it wasn't, I've always found it very easy to play fingerstyle, playing with a pick feels completely unnatural and took loads of practice to be able to play any where near as well as I can with fingers.
  13. JavierFarias

JavierFarias

for me it depends on the music, usually it's like 90% pick 10% fingers .
  14. Jisais

Jisais

Often it does depend on the music that is being played and even your mood. Personally i love the tone that you get with fingers, but when it comes to playing at 220 BPM my fingers cramp up a little to easily :scowl: have to work on that quad technique. Pick on the other hand also gives you a legit tone, but theres only so much that could be done with a pick!
  15. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass

Now I finally understand why Chris Squire's bass playing is only moderately effective and why he just can't do much.;)
  16. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum. Supporting Member

Ditto to Macca. :D
  17. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass

Big +1!
  18. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

+1
  19. Geroi Asfalta

Geroi Asfalta

i prefer fingerstyle. I can't use a pick to save my life. I can pick a guitar ok, but not a bass.....plus, I almost always have coloured DR's on my fretted basses. I like keeping the colour as much as possible.

The only time I ever get a pick near my bass is:
    - When I have a little overdrive and my non-coated DR's
    - When I'm messing with my fretless to Pink Floyd

Otherwise, I sound like somebody killing a goat with a bass when I use a pick
  20. SurferJoe46

SurferJoe46

What? Use what you need when you need it.

Simple, and you won't need any couch time if you don't agonize over it.
  21. carlthegroover

carlthegroover

I'm still undecided as to which one I prefer. I do love the pick because of the "aggressiveness" and prominence, which is perfect for rock. I'm also getting much faster with a pick.

But it is always good to play with fingers, due to the feel with the strings and the different sound.
    Edit: I'm also more accurate with fingerpicking.

I will let you know in a few years when I decide.